Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mower
    Craftsman LT1500

Re: Briggs 17.5 HP with Nikki Carburetor Surging only when cold . (Craftsman Lt1500

A little more testing,

From 4 gear up if I let my foot of the clutch, when it catches there is a power drop or surge for a second and then recovers. This causes a little buck. Does this symptom provide any other information if there is an adjustment that can be performed or if it needs to be cleaned?

2,500 Post Club

Mower
    kioti/rhino finish mower

Re: Briggs 17.5 HP with Nikki Carburetor Surging only when cold . (Craftsman Lt1500

Sounds like there may be an issue with the transfer ports. When you go from no load to load there are holes or slots that allow the engine to transfer from the idle circuit of the carb to the main jet. So your carb may benefit from some cleaning. it will look like a series of small holes, or a slot behind the hole for the needle valve in the venturi of the carb
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, BEECHER CITY, IL
    BRIGGS AND STRATTON MST (MASTER SERVICE TECHNICIAN)
    Sales and Service for Dolmar/Makita, Poulan, Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, Lauson(Tecumseh, LCT), Generac, Brute, Honda, Subaru
    Warranty service for MTD, Murray, Powerwasher, Karcher, Earthwise, Earthquake, Yamaha engines, American Sportsworks, Worx, Rockwell Tools, Great Lakes Technologies products(Wen, CZ), Efco, Snap-On pressure washers, and others.

Mower
    Craftsman LT1500

So why hasn't any external adjustments been suggested?
    On the cold start, if I push on the choke wire a little to open it more it does not surge. Does a 6 year old carb not need adjustments or is it that a 6 year old carb is probably blocked.?
    It just seems like the suggestions jumped to a carb clean and nothing else could be the issue.

Mower
    John Deere, Sears, Scott, Massey gc2300

Maybe it's just me but i have a B&S 12 hp that does that same thing i just let it warm up and use it

Mower
    Huskee 54"

Quote Originally Posted by mstar View Post
    So why hasn't any external adjustments been suggested?
    I am not familiar with your carb, but most other current units which I have serviced have no external carb adjustments.....

Valve settings are a typical issue, but you seemed to focus on the carb from the onset.

Mower
    Craftsman LT1500

Quote Originally Posted by Fragger View Post
    Maybe it's just me but i have a B&S 12 hp that does that same thing i just let it warm up and use it
    Does yours also do it as you release the clutch, even after warm?