Honda HRR2169VKR low RPMs

Mike88se

Threads
Honda HRR2169VKR MZCG 9143823
My neighbor brought me his mower to fix. I've fixed this one or another like it several times. He doesn't speak much English but he said "carburetor maybe" and showed me it wouldn't start. After I finished the Lawnboy I was working on I started on his Honda. I cleaned the carb out and it started right up. The problem was the engine runs way too slow. Runs fine but just at a low rpm. He didn't mention anything about low rpm's so I wouldn't know if it was doing that prior to quitting.
I can rev it up manually but of course it's got a preset throttle. Could it just need the governor set? Maybe a new throttle return spring? When I was removing the carb to clean it I noticed the spring wasn't attached to the carb. All the other control parts looked good.
I removed the carb a second time to make sure I got everything back in the proper place and I noticed a pin/small rod sticking out from just above the intake port that would push (or not) what I'm guessing is the automatic choke thus keeping it open. With the engine running and the air filter removed I could see that the choke was open as it should be. Seems normal. I only mention that because I've seen that auto choke discussed here a few times. He's been using this mower on weekend jobs for 2 or 3 years so I don't think it was one of those that were recalled.

jp1961

Threads
Hi Mike,

Are all the springs attached to the governor arm? You can check parts tree.com for a schematic of the governor assembly.

My Intertec manual says on engine models GV150 and GV200 loosen clamp bolt on governor arm, pull governor all the way to the right and rotate governor shaft clockwise as far as it will go, tighten clamp bolt.

Check the spring that goes from the governor rod to the throttle plate for signs of it being damaged or stretched. The owner may have tried to disassemble and buggered it up.

Regards

Jeff