mower starts and immediately dies

weekendwarriorATL

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I'm new to Lawn World, grew up with a 70's model 2 cycle Lawn Boy mower that my father adored. I now have a less lovable newer Lawn Boy Insight model 10682. The mower sat for 2 years before I inherited it a year ago from a neighbor. Since I got it, the will start (after 2-20 pulls), but then immediately stalls. It will do this 5-10 times before remaining running to complete the job. After breaking 2 pull strings, I bought about $70 worth of parts and replaced the carborator, engine oil, spark plug, and only use TruFuel (no ethonol) gas. I have read a few other threads that suggested cleaning out the fuel lines and I have done this by removing the 2 that I can see and flushing them out with water. Any other suggestions to fix this would be helpful before I take this thing to the junk yard! Thanks for your time.

Fragger

Threads
Boy that is a good one , guess you have checked the key on the flywheel it is almos tlike a fuel issue , do yo uahve some startin gfluid or even carburator cleaner fro mwalmart ?? if you spray the intake and it keeps running the carburetor might be clogged.Have you replaced the cap on the gas stank A clogged carburetor is most commonly caused by leaving fuel in the lawn mower for a long period of time. Over time, some of the ingredients in the fuel may evaporate, leaving behind a thicker, stickier substance. This sticky fuel can clog up the carburetor and cause the engine to stall. If the carburetor is clogged, try cleaning it with carburetor cleaner. It most postively sounds like a fuel issue.
That is a 2 stroke engine so you are using 2 stroke oil/gas mixture?
Do not carry to the junk yard will make a good trotline weight ,just kidding!

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Lawn Boy section.

2smoked

Threads
Boy that is a good one , guess you have checked the key on the flywheel it is almos tlike a fuel issue , do yo uahve some startin gfluid or even carburator cleaner fro mwalmart ?? if you spray the intake and it keeps running the carburetor might be clogged.Have you replaced the cap on the gas stank A clogged carburetor is most commonly caused by leaving fuel in the lawn mower for a long period of time. Over time, some of the ingredients in the fuel may evaporate, leaving behind a thicker, stickier substance. This sticky fuel can clog up the carburetor and cause the engine to stall. If the carburetor is clogged, try cleaning it with carburetor cleaner. It most postively sounds like a fuel issue.
That is a 2 stroke engine so you are using 2 stroke oil/gas mixture?
Do not carry to the junk yard will make a good trotline weight ,just kidding!

According to the images I found on a google search, a Lawn Boy model 10682 has a 4 stroke engine. Just saying.

Fragger

Threads
wow goes to show you really don't know everything you thought you did ,i must still be in the 60's so they making 4 stRokes :ashamed:well i stand corrected !!
\Good book say even the dumb man if he keeps his mouth shut will appear to be smart:laughing:
According to the images I found on a google search, a Lawn Boy model 10682 has a 4 stroke engine. Just saying.

Last edited:

lewb

Threads
If you replaced the carb I would have to assume getting gas should not be an issue, the gas line should not be an issue if you are filling the float bowl. Pulling the line off the carb inlet gas should pour out of end. If a very small dribble comes(basically drips not a steady stream) out then I would guess the gas is restricted. Does this mower have any sensors such as a bag sensor, could be the reason, if so you can just unplug it, engine will run normally, if this was the issue. Could be low compression, need a tester to find out. The only part left would be the cdi which delivers the spark. You would have to install a new one to find out if this is the problem, generally they just quit when they go bad so I do not think this is the issue.