Troy-Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor drive belt mystery

Jay7719

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I have a pony (13AN77TG766) and when I got it the drive belt was off, I was told it needed a new belt, I purchased the correct oem belt (954-04001A). After replacement I fired it up and test drove it, I drove it around for a bit with no issue, I checked the deck to make sure it worked I live on 3 acres so I began to mow roughly 4 strips. On the fifth strip the mower stopped in its tracks, I shut it down looked underneath and belt was still on, tension seemed good, I let it sit for a few and tried again it moved for about another ten feet and it stopped again. I tried reverse and forward but the belt began to smoke near the front pulley, I have read through the forums and didn't find much on this but do know ponys have some belt issues in general.

Anyone have this issue and can point me in the right direction on what to check next? I thought maybe the parking brake might be stuck, but thought I would see what anyone has for me advice wise?

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
that looks to be a 2 belt system for the drive. If you don't replace both belts at the same time odd things tend to happen. those two belts have to sync otherwise they don't play well together. Easy way to check the parking brake is try to much the mower with it not running and in neutral and see if it rolls easily or not. Also make sure the new belt you installed isn't rubbing on something that it shouldn't