Briggs Quantum Engines - Is there any better air filter for dusty conditions?

Arwing64

Threads
  • / Briggs Quantum Engines - Is there any better air filter for dusty conditions?
I have a walk behind leaf vacuum that I use every year to suck up leave in the Fall. It has a 6 HP Briggs and Stratton Quantum engine that has taken a licking and still keeps kicking. Although the engine works, I have to repeatedly take out the air filter after each day of sucking up leaves and blowing them out with an air compressor. Leaf vacuums create a ton of dust that will inevitably get sucked right in the intake. The dust and debris clog up that air filter very quickly, and I feel as if there should have been different styles of filters to suite different operating conditions.

For pressure washers, generators, or other equipment that don't sturr that much dust in the air, the engines are usually fitted with a common air filter, whether it be a foam or a paper filter. For lawn mowers, paper filters are a must and some units even come with prefilters. But what about for those really dirty machines, such as leaf vacuums, trimmer mowers, wood chippers, etc.? Is there a special air filter on the market that would better be suited for dirty environments?

I know that some newer engines actually have canister style filters, like the Professional Series engines, while the older Quantum style engines use the traditional paper panel filters, which are all well and good, but when you have so much dust in the air, there is going to be some dust that bypasses the filter and causes the engine to malfunction.

Is there anything aftermarket that would fill this requirement?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Briggs Quantum Engines - Is there any better air filter for dusty conditions?
Shouldn't be any dust bypassing the filter, UNLESS...it's been removed and replaced so many times that the seal no longer fits properly.

I've heard from both Donaldson and Fleetguard field reps that more engines are damaged by TOO MUCH air filter maintenance than by too little. Their advice was, once a filter was removed, throw it away; don't even attempt to reinstall it because the sealing gaskets mold themselves to the mating surface and your chance of putting it back in exactly that position is nil. If you can find some kind of washable pre-filter, that would probably be the way to go and leave the primary filter alone.

I'm not a fan of K&N filters but this may be a case where one of their washable filters might be your only option.

primerbulb120

Threads
I have a walk behind leaf vacuum that I use every year to suck up leave in the Fall. It has a 6 HP Briggs and Stratton Quantum engine that has taken a licking and still keeps kicking. Although the engine works, I have to repeatedly take out the air filter after each day of sucking up leaves and blowing them out with an air compressor. Leaf vacuums create a ton of dust that will inevitably get sucked right in the intake. The dust and debris clog up that air filter very quickly, and I feel as if there should have been different styles of filters to suite different operating conditions.

For pressure washers, generators, or other equipment that don't sturr that much dust in the air, the engines are usually fitted with a common air filter, whether it be a foam or a paper filter. For lawn mowers, paper filters are a must and some units even come with prefilters. But what about for those really dirty machines, such as leaf vacuums, trimmer mowers, wood chippers, etc.? Is there a special air filter on the market that would better be suited for dirty environments?

I know that some newer engines actually have canister style filters, like the Professional Series engines, while the older Quantum style engines use the traditional paper panel filters, which are all well and good, but when you have so much dust in the air, there is going to be some dust that bypasses the filter and causes the engine to malfunction.

Is there anything aftermarket that would fill this requirement?

Is this a primer or choke engine? Some of the Briggs Inteks had canister filters that might fit.

Arwing64

Threads
Is this a primer or choke engine? Some of the Briggs Inteks had canister filters that might fit.

This is an automatic choke engine. No primer. No choke. I think the Briggs Inteks had a different air filter housing so it could house a canister filter, which would be ideal in this situation. I'm not sure that would work with a Quantum engine or not.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Threads
A lot of those engines have 2 filters. A Pre filter and the regular square one. I would ask at a mower shop for the pre filter also........

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The trick is to install a snorkel.
I believe some lawn boys came with them as did the Suzuki blue smokes.
Honda used to sell a snorkel kit for their side panel filtered 120's & 160's.
Down here the 190 commercials come with a snorkel.
The Honda outer housing will fit onto the Briggs filter housing with a little work then you block off the low level air intake which s the stupidest piece of engineering on a lawn mower ever done.
You could look up Robert at honda and send him a pm.

Other than that, down to the pool shop and get some 2" tube, an elbow and some silly con .
We exported Victas to Canada untill Briggs took them over so google Victa agents Canada and see if they have a snorkel kit.
Fit a Victa snorkel which has the filter a the top of the handle bars and you will never replace the air filter again.