Kawasaki FC540V 17 HP - Hard to Start

Arwing64

Threads
I have a Kawasaki FC540V engine on my John Deere 265 Garden Tractor. Overall the engine is in good condition, but it really struggles to get started. I have to play with the choke and the throttle and sometimes spray starting fluid in the intake just to get it to run. When it is running, it runs very well. Sometimes when going from low throttle to high throttle, the engine backfires and quits.

I'm not sure if it is a carburetor problem or if it is something else. You just have to crank the engine over for a while until it eventually runs, and this can't be right.
Like I said, when it does run, it runs well, but stalls occasionally when transitioning from low throttle to full throttle.

If you have any ideas as to why this is doing this, please let me know!

Thanks,
Kyle

BubbaSam

Threads
Arwing64,
Not sure if you figured this out but I have Kawasaki FH721V engine in my IS 1500Z zero turn mower. I had a heck of a time the last three years starting this machine, each year getting worse and worse. At one point I'd squirt some starting fluid in the air cleaner area and it backfired SO BAD I thought I'd blow it up. Just stopped and waited until the spring when it warmed up.

Anyway, the answer to MY issue is it was the starter. While it did worked, it was turning over slower. A friend of mine said "Yep, I've replaced a lot of starters that just got tired." Of course I could buy starters on Amazon for around $65-$150 but my friend said I'd be MUCH better off purchasing an OEM price. As it turned out Kawasaki had superseded the starter to a new model. It was a bit smaller but WOW... what a difference. When I installed it all I did was choke it and turn the key. I mean it was INSTANT! It NEVER turned over like that.

Oh... BTW... the starter cost me $220 but I'd spend it again for the results I had.