17 HP Briggs and Stratton Intek - Hard to Turn Over

Arwing64

Threads
  • / 17 HP Briggs and Stratton Intek - Hard to Turn Over
I have just purchased a Briggs and Stratton 17 HP Intek from Craigslist that looks practically brand new. No scratches, no oil, no dirt, no nothing. It was as if it came right out of the box. Anyway, the guy I bought it from claimed that it did run but it smoked. I got it for really cheap so I couldn't complain that much. I took the entire engine apart and replaced the rings on the piston and also replaced the head gasket. The cylinder bore is flawless and so is the piston. Everything was really clean on the inside, so I assume that the reason why it smoked is because it had a lot of hours on it.

I did the valve timing, but something was off. The mark on the gear on the crankshaft was in the normal spot, right on the tooth. But the crankshaft gear should have had the mark in between the teeth. However, on mine the timing mark was on a tooth, making it difficult to time. I'm not sure if this is a mistake from the factory or what, but i thought it was really strange. I am no stranger to small engine repair, but this was unlike I have ever seen before. I got it really close to where it should be.

But then when I turned it over, I had no compression at all. So I moved the valve timing over a tooth on the other side of the mark but there was still no compression. I later found out that the valve seats were pretty screwed up. I lapped the valves no problem and put everything back together. I did make sure that the valve timing was correct, though this engine was really stubborn and didn't want to keep the adjustment. I know that the intake is .005" and the exhaust is .007" or something like that.

After the lapping and valve adjustments were done, I now have too much compression. There is so much compression that the engine stops at the compression stroke when I turn it over with the starter motor or by hand.

I am really confused as to why this is happening. This is not the first time I have rebuilt a Briggs engine, but this is the first time this has happened to me. I am in a stuck situation. What can I do to fix this?

Briggs and Stratton 17 HP Intek OHV
Model: 311707
Type: 0026-E1
Code: 000621ZD

Thanks,
Kyle

Threads
  • / 17 HP Briggs and Stratton Intek - Hard to Turn Over
Do you mean camshaft gear ??

All the steel cams have a dimple in between the teeth away from the teeth. ~!~!

Send a picture ~!~!

Threads
Me and the Sheriff was in my shop earlier working on his Briggs intek putting it back together. There was a dimple on the cam, Very well pronounced I might say. I lost the pic tho ~!~!

Threads
Uh Oh.........

Was your spring OK or the decrompressor working ??

I have never timed one wrong, but if you did the tappet might have mashed the lever on it, causing your problem.