replacing engine, need wiring help

guyina4x4

Threads
I had a 31p677-0804-b2 with dual circuit alternator with no regulator I can find, it has the red wire with the diode and the black wire for headlights.

I have installed a 303777-1147-E1 that has the alternator with the 691185 regulator

my question is, the 691185 only has the one wire output and that should go to the battery? right
also the existing wire on the tractor is kinda small, maybe 18 or 20 gauge? should I run something heavier directly to the battery as the 691185 can put out up to 16 amps where as the diode wire only puts out 3 amps

what do I do with the headlight wire? am I going to have to wire in a switch and run it to 12v somewhere?

thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would increase the wire size to run to the batery power, be it the battery or the positive side of the starter solenoid. Then wire a separate wire with switch for the headlights. Heck most mowers don't have headlights bright enough to hardly see to drive out the door of the garage in the dark.

guyina4x4

Threads
thanks I just needed some confirmation on that

yes those headlights are pretty useless but I kinda like seeing them on.

guyina4x4

Threads
update

engine in and running great, mowed the yard
hard to believe an almost 20 year old engine runs smoother than the 7 year old I took off, I guess it's the 2 cyl vs 1 cyl that makes the difference.