2013 Z920M John Deere Transmission Leaking 120hours!

BILLY MILLER

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2013 Z920M John Deere Transmission Leaking 120hours!
I am a New Member with a Zero Turn John Deere 920M with a Transmission leaking badly! It only has 120 hours on it for a 2013. This site helped so much with a post from jakesmurray! I am very grateful for this post and it being here. I have been a Master Auto Mechanic for over 20 years and the last 15 a Heavy Truck Mechanic for MDOT in the SHA for the state of Maryland. I have worked on all kinds of equipment at the garage. After seeing the post on here I pulled trans out and it was exactly like jakesmurray post. The plug under the drive pulley that the magnet sits under had a rubber cap plug that was cracked open bad and as gravity would let the hydraulic fluid bottle which is higher than both transmissions leak even while mower was sitting in garage. As jakesmurray said the plug has been revised to an all metal one that is covered with rubber. The plug is a defective design from factory from a Trans. that Tuff Torq manufactures. I called John Deere and did not get any help at all at the dealer or Customer Service. Will fix the other over the winter, keeping in mid if these start leaking bad while cutting trans can run dry and burn up. They should have put a switch in hydraulic fluid tank that if it went dry it would shut mower down or a warning light you might not see while cutting. I will post pics this evening.

jakesmurray

Threads
This is what is so great about forums. I’m glad that my post helped you out. :thumbsup:

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our John Deere section.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
jakesmurray

BILLY MILLER

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am a New Member with a Zero Turn John Deere 920M with a Transmission leaking badly! It only has 120 hours on it for a 2013. This site helped so much with a post from jakesmurray! I am very grateful for this post and it being here. I have been a Master Auto Mechanic for over 20 years and the last 15 a Heavy Truck Mechanic for MDOT in the SHA for the state of Maryland. I have worked on all kinds of equipment at the garage. After seeing the post on here I pulled trans out and it was exactly like jakesmurray post. The plug under the drive pulley that the magnet sits under had a rubber cap plug that was cracked open bad and as gravity would let the hydraulic fluid bottle which is higher than both transmissions leak even while mower was sitting in garage. As jakesmurray said the plug has been revised to an all metal one that is covered with rubber. The plug is a defective design from factory from a Trans. that Tuff Torq manufactures. I called John Deere and did not get any help at all at the dealer or Customer Service. Will fix the other over the winter, keeping in mid if these start leaking bad while cutting trans can run dry and burn up. They should have put a switch in hydraulic fluid tank that if it went dry it would shut mower down or a warning light you might not see while cutting. I will post pics this evening.

IMG_3209.jpg