Stihl Ht 75 No start

christophert

Threads
I have a Stihl HT 75 hat has came to me with a no start issue. The guy who owns it took it apart to clean it and when he put it back together it wouldn't start. He brought it to me and I found the following things: 1. It passed the vacuum test with flying colors, absolutely no leakdown. 2. The carb had some major issues, so I replaced it. 3. It does show spark, and I did re-gap the coil (my gauge is for 030.). 4. The compression of the engine is 115lbs. So, where do I go from here? The fire is not super strong, so I have ordered a replacement coil. Thanks for any insight!
Chris D.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe you are on the right road by replacing the coil...! 9 out of 10 problems with Stihl's is the coils...!

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 13

christophert

Threads
Thanks for the chart and the input! I greatly appreciate it!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With a genuine Stihl carb ?
A certified after market carb ?
Something off evilbay/amazon of doubtful quality ?

Have you replaced the plug and was it the correct plug ?
These small hand helds are very sensitative to plugs.

Do you get any firing at all ?

Have you tried it with the kill wire disconnected ?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Stihl HT 75 hat has came to me with a no start issue. The guy who owns it took it apart to clean it and when he put it back together it wouldn't start. He brought it to me and I found the following things: 1. It passed the vacuum test with flying colors, absolutely no leakdown. 2. The carb had some major issues, so I replaced it. 3. It does show spark, and I did re-gap the coil (my gauge is for 030.). 4. The compression of the engine is 115lbs. So, where do I go from here? The fire is not super strong, so I have ordered a replacement coil. Thanks for any insight!
Chris D.

That's too much gap according to the chart.

christophert

Threads
With a genuine Stihl carb ?
A certified after market carb ?
Something off evilbay/amazon of doubtful quality ?

Have you replaced the plug and was it the correct plug ?
These small hand helds are very sensitative to plugs.

Do you get any firing at all ?

Have you tried it with the kill wire disconnected ?
Bert, yes, it is a Stihl carb. The gentleman who owns it had installed the plug in it before he took it apart to clean it, it has no little or no wear. It does fire, but it doesn't have a good strong spark. Checking it's fire in a spark tester, it is a very light orange. No, I haven't tried it with the kill wire disconnected (I'll do that). Thanks.

blueberrymuzik

Forum Newbie
Threads
That coil gap being so wide is going to diminish your spark output. The best way I have found to set the gap on a Stihl is with a business card. Most business cards are about .009" thick.