Is there a better Air Filter for Kawasaki FR651V out there ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Is there a better Air Filter for Kawasaki FR651V out there ?
Way way way back we were talking about bypassing the fuel shut off solenoid.
Some one stepped in with the fines for "interfearing with an EPA regulated device"
They were in the order of $ 300 / day of use for a private person and $ 5000 / day of use for a company.
So neither Donaldson nor Kawasaki is going to say "yes do it" and risk fines like that despite how remote the chance of actually being prosecuted is.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The engine mfgr said on the phone to me that same exact thing. And my Dealer shyed away also.

So for the record on this public forum, that mod would be wrong to do. And I don't wanna do anything that is wrong
, right ?

And a while back one could order a mower with 'that brand' engine & pick which air filtering system ya wanted. No jetting changes either way, according to an 'insider' off the record.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the EPA will or can prosecute a mower owner for 'tampering' with the air filter system of their own mower, why have they not issued a cease and desist order against K&N for making available replacement filters for the tampering purposes?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine mfgr said on the phone to me that same exact thing. And my Dealer shyed away also.

So for the record on this public forum, that mod would be wrong to do. And I don't wanna do anything that is wrong
, right ?

And a while back one could order a mower with 'that brand' engine & pick which air filtering system ya wanted. No jetting changes either way, according to an 'insider' off the record.

Yes so it is nudge nudge wink wink say no more go ahead & do it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the EPA will or can prosecute a mower owner for 'tampering' with the air filter system of their own mower, why have they not issued a cease and desist order against K&N for making available replacement filters for the tampering purposes?

Because K & N can claim they fit other engines which are not EPA compliant.
You will find cars are the same.
Lots of stuff that will fit on vehicles that become illegal if they are fitted.

Next time you are in a speed shop have a look at the speed parts.A great number of them carry warning _ not approved for street use , not allowed to be used in California.
Heck go to web sit that sells replacement engine and read the details about a third of them will not be allowed to be sold in a variety of states with California usually leading the list

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Because K & N can claim they fit other engines which are not EPA compliant.
You will find cars are the same.
Lots of stuff that will fit on vehicles that become illegal if they are fitted.

Next time you are in a speed shop have a look at the speed parts.A great number of them carry warning _ not approved for street use , not allowed to be used in California.
Heck go to web sit that sells replacement engine and read the details about a third of them will not be allowed to be sold in a variety of states with California usually leading the list
Yep, I have noticed a lot of "off road only" markings on things. AS IF the off road vehicles breathe different air than the on road models.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well my Mower is an off road vehicle.

And at least my HD FatBoy has a K&N on it with 2-1/4" Hooker (step-tuned) Long Shot Pipes.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The K&N & Pipes I've added to my Bikes did have warning tags: off-road, or Racing use only. Doh !! :laughing:

John R

Threads
Any filter that claims to pass more air will also pass more dirty air.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not actually true John.
It is all a matter of the surface area of the filter.
You can ( and they do ) make filters the same size as the OEM ones with 2 to 4 times the surface area and they will pass more air despite being a finer mesh size.