Re-power options Craftsman GT5000

scrous

Threads
I've had Craftsman 6 spd, GT5000 (917.276230) for 13 years - 25 HP Kohler Command Pro engine CV730-0029, has the 1.125 X 4.457 crankshaft. I did the head gasket upgrade some time ago, has 650 hrs on engine now, its been worked hard, deck and tractor are solid, engine needs at least rings at this point.. I'd prefer to put new engine on it given its age. Buying same engine would be very expensive but simple swap, Kohler is still really proud of that engine. One thought is to buy a Kaw FX and go through the pain of making it work..

Any suggestions on other engines with the same crankshaft dimensions?
Crankshaft 2401472 (24014371), 1 1/8 inch (1.124, 28.5 mm) Diameter x 4 29/64 inch (4.457inch , 113.2 mm) PTO Length, 0.25 inch (6 mm) Keyway, Drilled and Tapped 1.5 inch (38 mm) Deep, 7/16-20 UNF

I found a new Briggs Cyclone that has same crank specs and less money. Just haven't found any other engine options. Id be interested to try a Kaw engine but no match on crank size yet. What do you guys think? Maybe rebuild current, replace with same or any other ideas or advice is appreciated.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
What's the engine doing that makes you think it needs overhauled or replaced? Burning oil? Compression down?

scrous

Threads
The engine smokes a bit at idle, more under load. Much less power last couple years, more so beginning end of last year. Uses around 3-4 oz of oil each hour, eventually have to clean plugs. Seems to use more fuel too. I haven't completed compression test. I've worked it hard over 13 years, cutting overgrown campsites, weekly mowing couple acres, dragging heavy load 5x8 trailer. It has been worked like a rented mule. Always kept up on engine, deck and tractor maintenance, well minus engine internals.. Thought maybe do the ring sets but guessing the lower end is pretty worn too?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm no expert on Kohler engines but I wouldn't think the lower end would be worn out.

Rings and a valve job ought to fix you up for another decade.

scrous

Threads
Good to hear. That would be ideal.. probably ought to get it apart see what I have and decide from there.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like a plan!

You have absolutely nothing to lose by doing some exploratory surgery.

Let us know what you find.

Threads
I agree all the way on a rebuild much cheaper than a new one.

New rings with a cylinder check of course,valve job thorough cleaning. Then reassemble with all new seals and gaskets.

Check for reject clearances on everything and you should be good to go ~!~!