Broken Crankshaft - Troy-Bilt blower vac TB360BV

SteveHaller

Threads
I have a Troy TB360BV with the AC3 series 4 stroke engine. Screen Shot225 2017-10-03, 11_34_24.jpg

I was using it last week, and for no reason, the impeller seemed to be making a strange noise. I examined further and initially it looked like the impeller bolt had come loose. I took the housing apart to further inspect, and it turns out that this was not the case at all, rather the end of the shaft that the bolt turns into had actually fractured in two. I am pretty sure that this is the crankshaft of the engine itself, and practically speaking is probaby not a repairable item. See picture below Any comments on this?

Also, since I was using the unit normally in blow vs vaccum mode, and had not subjected it to any shock or bump, short of a defect with this part, I am perplexed why it would break as such, rendering me with a useless machine. Is this a known issue of some sort and would Troy acknowledge such?

Screen Shot226 2017-10-03, 11_39_54.jpg

jp1961

Threads
I checked out this blower on partstree.com, seems like there is a nut on the outside of the shaft and the impeller is secured with a bolt on the inside, seems like a weak point to me.

How old is the blower? Maybe still under warranty?

Regards

Jeff

Attachments

• iplimage.jpg
    iplimage.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 6

SteveHaller

Threads
Thanks Jeff for your reply.

Yes, a weak point indeed. The end of the crankshaft itself has an internal thread and then there is a hex head bolt and washer that threads into this end of the crankshaft securing the impeller.
Unfortunately, this unit is too far out of warranty, but I will call Troy to lodge a complaint just the same.

I checked out this blower on partstree.com, seems like there is a nut on the outside of the shaft and the impeller is secured with a bolt on the inside, seems like a weak point to me.

How old is the blower? Maybe still under warranty?

Regardsnside

Jeff