Tiger Cat Blowing Fuses

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have seen several threads on Scag Mowers blowing fuses over the time I have been on the forum.

We have been having that problem with one of my Tiger Cats for a god while. Normally once or twice a day. It will normally be the fuse for the charging system and when it blows the mower won't start because the battery will be dead. We have been changing the fuse and jump starting the mower and running it again. Last week we changed the fuse holders on it and we have run it two days now with No blown fuses.

Not sure yet if that has the problem solved but it appears to have some something in that direction.

Honda Tech

Threads
You are on the right track. Considering that the fuses don't blow right away means that they are failing due to excessive resistance as a 'dead short' would cause the fuse to blow almost immediately. High resistance is caused from poor connections. Fuse holders are a common source of that issue. I would recommend, if you haven't already, put a small amount of Dielectric Grease on the fuse holder connections and then install the fuse. Dielectric grease will protect the metal components from corrosion and help insure a positive contact.
The other common source for resistance is a loose or corroded 'Ground'. You should be able to find both 'Grounds' at the ends of the wire harnesses, near the engine. If you don't have a Multimeter to test the resistance, which should be .002 +/- Ohms between the Ground and the frame/engine, you could just remove the bolt securing the ground leads, clean and reinstall.

Hope this resolves your issue.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just an update.

We have been running this mower for several days now and we have not replaced another fuse ever since we replaced the fuse holders on it. It has not missed a beat.

Honda Tech

Threads
Just an update.

We have been running this mower for several days now and we have not replaced another fuse ever since we replaced the fuse holders on it. It has not missed a beat.

Great News! Happy Mowing!!

3jakes

Threads
And thank you for updating the thread.
Too often these forum questions never have the "end of the story".

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
And thank you for updating the thread.
Too often these forum questions never have the "end of the story".

I did not have time to work on the mower so I took it to my dealer. The shop manager said it would only take a few more minutes to change both holders so we changed both the one that was blowing and the other one also. I have not changed the first fuse since we had that done and this mower has been run for like 3 weeks now as a primary mower. Because of the problem I was having with it I was only running it as a backup.