Need serious help

Craig LeSieg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting in any kind help forum, so I'm going to try to give as much info as I can.
I bought a used Snapper 2690980A with a Briggs & Stratton 42A707.
It started running good for a half hour to hour then quit, no noise, no warning, it just stopped. I would try to restart but I got nothing from turning the key, sometimes a whine, sometimes no noise. Battery shows 12v, but none the less I hooked it up to a charger overnight and the next day it started, and once again after half an hour it just quit. I tried to charge it over night again but got nothing. I let it set for 3 weeks (I was in the hospital) thought I'd check it so turned the key and it started right up, ran for half an hour and quit again. I decided to just check everything under the hood and found some wires/plugs that were not hooked up to anything. I've looked everywhere but can not find anything specific to my engine. I'm adding some pics and hopefully someone can help me.
Thanks in advance!
A. mower 902.pngB. Engine top 902.pngC.  6 prong plug 902.pngD. empty plug 902.pngE. hot ignition to engine 902.pngF. empty 2 prong 902.pngG. empty 2 prong to engine 902.pngH. solenoid 902.png

Attachments

• A. mower normal.jpg
    A. mower normal.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 5

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pic C is the 6 terminal plug that should plug into the wiring harness from the engine. pic F and G is the connector for the charging system. Without that connect then the battery isn't charging would could explain the engine shutdown, if the carb has a solenoid on it.

Looks like you are missing the wiring harness for the engine.

Craig LeSieg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for replying. Where would the charging system hook up? I have a plug to match it but no idea where they would go. And I wouldn't know where to begin with the wiring harness, YouTube videos are not the same as my engine and just vague. Guess I'm just going to have to do a lot of digging around the internet.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
All the wires would connect through the 6 pin rectangle connector. As far as the charging system. That plug has two pins. One has a bump above the connector. that wire connects to the battery side of the starter solenoid. The other wire in the connector is for headlights.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have but one thing to say to this because my knowledge is limited on this subject. That is not the original engine. It is much older than the mower. It should be a 24 hp engine.

Threads
I agree that might not be the engine that came on it, because of all the newer wiring and connectors i see in the pics.

It's not that hard to get the engine running right. You will have to bypass your safety switches tho. Such as seat, blade and so forth ~!~!

Threads
If you have the anti backfire solenoid on the carb you can take it off and put a regular bowl nut on it. Just idle your engine down for 4 or 5 seconds before you turn the switch off.

You can sell that solenoid for some very good pocket change also ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks very much like it had a Kohler in there due to the Purple wire ( usually the + feed back to the battery ).
If that mower has an electric clutch on the blades then that engine will not be able to keep up with it.
If it had a Kohler then the lights will be DC powered off the battery.
Do not connect the headlights to the small wire on the alternator unless you install a stand alone on / off switch.
Briggs & Stratton did a nice little booklet called the "Repower Guide" google it.
That has the code for the various alternators fitted to B & S engines + generic wiring diagrams to show you how each one is wired into a mower.

Craig LeSieg

Forum Newbie
Threads
First, thank you all very much for the input, I'll keep you filled in as I go, I've got a lot of work to do. I figured it was not the original engine firstly because it says 24HP 52" on the frame ;) and the snapper manual I found showed very different parts. I've never done any work on small engines and your help it VERY appreciated! Thanks a lot!