Engine not starting anymore

Threads
Help! I just purchased a new * mower with a briggs and stratton engine. It ran completely normally and mulched my leaves perfectly, but i accidentally went too fast over a pile of leaves, and it stalled out. When I pulled the starter again, it would not start. All that happened when I pulled the chord was it made a kind of grinding sound the first time, then wouldn't budge. Also, it revved up a lot before it stalled. I really hope one of you can help me!:wink:

*http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Rec...r-with-Briggs-Stratton-Engine-20334/100659631

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Help! I just purchased a new * mower with a briggs and stratton engine. It ran completely normally and mulched my leaves perfectly, but i accidentally went too fast over a pile of leaves, and it stalled out. When I pulled the starter again, it would not start. All that happened when I pulled the chord was it made a kind of grinding sound the first time, then wouldn't budge. Also, it revved up a lot before it stalled. I really hope one of you can help me!:wink:

*http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Rec...r-with-Briggs-Stratton-Engine-20334/100659631

Dit you check that there was in fact oil in the engine before you started it

Honda Tech

Threads
Any luck with your mower yet? It very probable that when it quit suddenly, that the flywheel key sheared. It is a Zinc 'key' that is designed to shear if the blade impacts immovable objects to protect the engine. When they shear, the ignition timing is off and they won't start.
The noise you heard could have been from a mass build-up of leaves under the deck. The over-speeding could be another issue all together. Most small Briggs and Stratton engines use a 'Wind Vane' governor. It's possible that the leaves may have built up around your starter, restricting air flow, allowing it to over-speed.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check to see if the engine can be turned by hand.

Remove the spark plug and look underneath for leaves, sticks, etc. which may be obstructing the rotation of the blade. If there is, clean this stuff out.

Then have someone hold the dead-man bar in the 'run' position and turn the blade by hand. If it still won't turn, take it back to Home Depot.

Threads
I took it to a repair shop, and said i think it might be the flywheel key and asked them to see what is wrong with the mower. As it turns out, it WAS the flywheel key. They fixed it and checked the rest and it runs now. Thank for the help!