Briggs & Stratton Mower Engine Just Stopped And Will Not Restart

Mharnisch

Threads
  • / Briggs & Stratton Mower Engine Just Stopped And Will Not Restart
I was mowing today with my toro recycler model 20042 6hp GTS Briggs & Stratton engine when it just stopped dead. There was no warning such as sputtering. It just stopped like I hit a big rock, which I didn't, and the brake did not engage. I tried to restart it to no avail. Of course I checked the gas, loose spark plug wire, etc., but all was ok. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution to fix?

Mharnisch

Threads
Does it blow the fuse when it is installed with the key off. Then check for shorts in wires that have battery voltage with the key off. If it blows when the key is turned to the on position, then need to check what gets energized with the key on (charging system, head lights, fuel solenoid maybe.) If it blows when turned to the start position then need to check key switch to starter solenoid, and the solenoid itself for shorts.

My mower is pull start. There is no key switch or battery. It is a 6 hp B & S GTS engine. I can pull the starter rope normally but it will not fire at all, even if I give it a shot of starting fluid. What seemed strange is that it stopped running like right now, no sputtering or anything like that. Up to that point it was running fine.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is no magic or answer as to why your mower doesn't start?? You will need spark, fuel, compression, with timing and it will run. You will need the skills and tools to check these things out just like I would need to do if this job came into my repair shop. You gave it a shot of starting fluid and that didn't help. Maybe remove the plug to see if its dry or wet and that will tell you if its getting fuel or not. lay the plug hooked up to the plug wire on the engine and pull the starting rope and see if you have spark or not. Have someone pull the starting rope and hold your finger over the spark plug hole to see if you have compression. These are suggestions to just get you started to finding your problem.

Mharnisch

Threads
Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to verify that there is spark. I removed the plug and put a couple squirts of starting fluid in the hole then put the plug back in. It still wouldn’t even fire. Will have to check compression. Unfortunately I didn’t notice when I removed the plug if it was wet or dry. I have removed and disassembled the carb and will clean out all the holes that I can. Will reassemble tomorrow and hope for the best.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Instead of starting fluid try a little gas into the spark plug hole.

Mharnisch

Threads
Apparently the carb was plugged somewhere. I confirmed spark, compression, and gas flow up to the carb. So I disassembled it, cleaned out all the holes, reinstalled, and it started right up. What is strange is that I installed a gas filter at the beginning of the season. This mower, which is many years old, never had a filter and I never had a problem. Go figure. Anyway, thanks to all for your suggestions.

Mharnisch

Threads
Apparently the carb was plugged somewhere. I confirmed spark, compression, and gas flow up to the carb. So I disassembled it, cleaned out all the holes, reinstalled, and it started right up. What is strange is that I installed a gas filter at the beginning of the season. This mower, which is many years old, never had a filter and I never had a problem. Go figure. Anyway, thanks to all for your suggestions.

The first time I used it after cleaning the carb, it ran ok for a while and then just stopped again. Couldn’t get it restarted. So took the carb apart again and cleaned out all the holes. Started right up. So I replaced the gas hose from the tank to the carb, plus put in a new filter and flushed out the gas tank. Started right up again. Tried mowing with it today. Got part of the lawn mowed and again, it just stopped. Now I am befuddled. Wondering if the air filter could be the problem. It is dirty but not terribly dirty. Anyone have any ideas?

Mharnisch

Threads
There is no magic or answer as to why your mower doesn't start?? You will need spark, fuel, compression, with timing and it will run. You will need the skills and tools to check these things out just like I would need to do if this job came into my repair shop. You gave it a shot of starting fluid and that didn't help. Maybe remove the plug to see if its dry or wet and that will tell you if its getting fuel or not. lay the plug hooked up to the plug wire on the engine and pull the starting rope and see if you have spark or not. Have someone pull the starting rope and hold your finger over the spark plug hole to see if you have compression. These are suggestions to just get you started to finding your problem.

Not sure if you would see my latest reply so i’ll Repeat here. After cleaning the carb the engine started ok and ran for about 15 minutes then stopped again. Wouldn’t restart. So cleaned the carb again and, again it started ok. Ran again for 15 minutes and again stopped. So I again cleaned the carb, plus replaced the gas hose as well as the filter, and flushed out the tank. Again it started. And again it ran for 15 minutes and stopped. Am at a loss what to do try next. Seems like the problem only occurs after it is warmed up. Could dirt be getting through the air filter and plugging the carb? Any other thoughts?

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
You may want to check the vent in your gas cap. If it isn't venting, it will die of fuel starvation til some air seeps back into the tank.
Also check the bottom of the tank for debris that can clog the port temporarily.