Briggs & Stratton Mower Engine Just Stopped And Will Not Restart

Mharnisch

Threads
  • / Briggs & Stratton Mower Engine Just Stopped And Will Not Restart
You may want to check the vent in your gas cap. If it isn't venting, it will die of fuel starvation til some air seeps back into the tank.
Also check the bottom of the tank for debris that can clog the port temporarily.

Thanks for the suggestions. If it was the vent cap, then if I took the cap off and tried to start it, it should start. It doesn’t. It will only restart after cleaning out the carb. And doing that, i don’t find anything obvious clogging the carb. I did flush the tank and didn’t see any dirt come out. Besides, there is a new inline filter before the carb.
Why it runs fine for at least 15 minutes and then dies suddenly is baffling.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you tried replacing the spark plug. Have had more than one engine act just like yours, and was fixed with a new plug. Its like the plug shorts out when hot like an ignition module, but never looses fire when checked at the plug, but doesn't fire under compression.

Mharnisch

Threads
Have you tried replacing the spark plug. Have had more than one engine act just like yours, and was fixed with a new plug. Its like the plug shorts out when hot like an ignition module, but never looses fire when checked at the plug, but doesn't fire under compression.

I did put in another plug, but it was a used one that I had laying around after replacing it a few years ago. It was working ok at the time I replaced it. I suppose I should put in a new one just to see what happens. However, I have tried to restart the mower the next day when it was cold and it wouldn’t start. Only removing the carb and cleaning out the holes would fix it temporarily. Thanks for the suggestion.