Automatic Trans

hrdman2luv

Threads
917.272761 (one of those older green ones) Auto trans wants to stay in reverse. Even if it's in forward, it'll slam itself into reverse on it's on. The It makes no difference where the shifter's at.

On my way back to the shop with it (test driving it before when it messed up), I ended up having to drive it back in reverse, about 50 yards.
Also, when trying to shift it, it seems the clutch pedal would stick on it's way back up. Had to pull it with my toe. It wasn't hard, just a little pressure and the clutch would release.

Started out acting a little weird. Had a hard time with the release lever in the back. Then going to what I described above.

I've only had this one for a couple of days. Had a blown engine, I took on trade. Everything worked good yesterday and today. I washed it, including hosing off the transmission. Ran it for about 20 minutes until it started messing up.

hrdman2luv

Threads
Well, loosening the bolts and trying t make adjustments didn't seem to work. The pulley on top is spinning with the engine. But it's stuck in reverse. And just barely moving.
One other thing, that makes me think it's linkage or something, is that the shifter won't hardly go into reverse, and then it seems like it's as far as it'll go. Still another inch or two less to get all the way into reverse. But if you tug on it, it actually raises the front of the transmission.

Anyone else ran into this?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you can see the tranny moving then the support bolts at the front are loose / fallen out.
IF that does not fix it then the tranny has to come out & the box needs to be split.

hrdman2luv

Threads
Found a missing mounting bolt. But putting another bolt in it didn't solve the problem. Seems like the shifter is in the wrong position. You can't pull it all the down in reverse.

hrdman2luv

Threads
Found a missing mounting bolt. But putting another bolt in it didn't solve the problem. Seems like the shifter is in the wrong position. You can't pull it all the down in reverse.

Problem solved.
The two mounting plates bolt to the transmission. DUH!!!.. Apparently the bolt had broken off in the hole. Covered in dust & dirt, you couldn't even tell. So when I just bolted the two brackets together and looked at it, it just didn't make any sense. Cause there was no need for just those two to be bolted together. A go shot with the air, and there was the hole, with a bolt broke off in it. Drilled it out, Retapped it. Bolted it back together. And she's running great.