Engine Identification problem

Jay7719

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just picked up a king ranch lawn tractor, it's a project that someone else started and I took it off there hands. My problem is it's a B & S 18hp twin II iron core engine but that is all I got on the housing! I can't find a single model number stamped on anything and I'm frustrated. I know the model number of tractor is MTD brand : 140-849H205/C080B1. Can anyone help me try and figure out the model of engine? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
MTD site doesn't list the engine used. Model number should be stamped into the engine cover/blower housing. Possible locations is above one of the heads, or next to the flywheel. Could be on a tag that is riveted to the housing next to the flywheel, if it is not missing. Seem like some had the number on the side of the housing, and then on some mowers go covered up by some other piece of metal that acted as a engine compartment divider.

Tinkerer200

Threads
In my experience, the number on the old engines is stamped as shown in above illustration except on the opposite side, left as looking at the carb side and just above the intake manifold.

Walt Conner

Jay7719

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the information, I checked the spot per the picture most everything is missing! It's looking like a wash!

Threads
Why do you need the numbers on the engine ?? A go to for parts ?? Or for log books for maintenence ??

Jay7719

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine is missing several parts and I want to get a service manual but can't without the numbers

Threads
Wow that's a keeper for sure if in decent shape. Early 90's.

Click a pic and post it if you can..... I assume that is a opposed twin as shown in the picture...

Which parts are you looking for ?? I have a buddy down here that has a mower junk yard.........