2 cycle flooding

zman111666

Threads
Hello all
This pertains to almost any 2 stroke, but for argument's sake, this is the one giving me a headache at the moment.
I have a Craftsman chainsaw that I serviced, and although it runs great, when it's sitting fuel will force it's way past the carb and flood the crank case. I can get it going again after pulling the plug and pulling the pull cord a bunch of times, holding the saw in various positions to get out all the extra fuel, but it only does it again while put away. The tank was only about half full. any suggestions? Thanks.

16inchChainsaw1.jpg16inchChainsaw2.jpg

upupandaway

Threads
Hello all
... flood the crank case....

Zman, did u rebuild the carb recently?

For several times i have come across this- each test, dry up the area in the carb where u r working so u can see if it is leaking.
Take off the carb plate and the diaphragm. prime it a few times to build pressure and see if gas is seeping past the needle. If Y, the remove\clean the needle, clean the orafice with a qtip or something. Could replace the needle if u have one sitting around. If still leaks, then definitely try a new needle- some have the rubber tip.

If no leak in the needle test, check diapragm if it is old\hard kinda stuck not flat. If it doesn't sit flat try replace it.

If it DOES sit flat, Prime a few more times to build pressure in the fuel sys. and hold the diapragm in its normal position for a few seconds. Now take off the diapragm and see if gas leaked out. If Y, it is being held open - hold one end of the "arm"(part that opens the needle when the diapragm pushes down...) and bend down the other end. Do so ever so gently and try again to see if this cures your problem.

zman111666

Threads
Zman, did u rebuild the carb recently?

Thank you for your response. Yes I did just rebuild it, and was a bit suspect of it being that needle, but wanted some reassurance. I didn't know about that test to see if it's seating, so am doubly tankful for that. That will definitely come in handy, as i go through these thing almost every day. 2-strokes are not my favorite, picky little things that they can be. It occurs to me that I might check to see if the linkage is adjusted properly as well, and not sticking up too close to the diaphragm.
Thanks again!