LA105 Leaking Oil

enrightj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have an LA105 I purchased second hand earlier this year. 3 weeks ago I noticed a pool of oil under the tractor. I thought there could have been an issue with the oil drain pipe so I drained the oil and screwed it back in wrapped in plumber's tape. After adding more oil I mowed for 2 hours with no issues. When I parked it there were no oil leaks for about 5 days ago. After that I noticed that oil was leaking again. When running, the engine runs great (no smoke, plenty of power), so I don't think it's a head gasket issue. It just seems like a seal somewhere needs to be replaced.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Julian

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Hi,

I have an LA105 I purchased second hand earlier this year. 3 weeks ago I noticed a pool of oil under the tractor. I thought there could have been an issue with the oil drain pipe so I drained the oil and screwed it back in wrapped in plumber's tape. After adding more oil I mowed for 2 hours with no issues. When I parked it there were no oil leaks for about 5 days ago. After that I noticed that oil was leaking again. When running, the engine runs great (no smoke, plenty of power), so I don't think it's a head gasket issue. It just seems like a seal somewhere needs to be replaced.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Julian

More than likely the seal on the end of the crankshaft has failed. Where the deck belt hooks onto that pulley. Where the crankshaft sticks out of the engine :)

Threads
I agree with Scrub Cadet. Reach under the mower and see if the pulley has oil on it. If it does you have a leaking seal and that can cause you BIG trouble in the long run if not watched carefully............

Do you have the 19 or 20 HP engine on there ??

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The main Shaft Seal! I couldn't remember what it was called.:newhere:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The best way to find a oil leak is to start with a very good cleaning, because oil tend to travel.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The best way to find a oil leak is to start with a very good cleaning, because oil tend to travel.

Give that man a medal! I think replacing the seal will be a last resort if you dont find it anything else. And it could be, but not very possibly a crack in the block, but since it's under the mower, it would be dumping it out possible.

Have you had to add any oil the crankcase?

enrightj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have a feeling it's the main shaft seal as well. I checked the pulley and oil was in the top of it. I have a 19.5 hp Briggs and Stratton. I did clean off the frame (where I originally saw oil) and noticed that the oil started dripping out again after about 5 or 6 days after I ran it. Assuming it's the main shaft:
1) Am I safe running it for the rest of the season (roughly 4 more hours of run time) if I check the oil every time before I run it?
2) Is changing the shaft seal something I can do on my own or should I really be taking it to a shop? I'm confident in taking the engine off the tractor, taking the pulley off, and loosening a couple extra bolts, but if this requires taking half of the engine apart I would send it to a shop.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You might be able to do it on your own. But yes it does include removing the engine. all you have to do is buy some oil seal pullers, and you can socket the size of the seal to hammer the new seal in.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
795387 That is the seal part number, double check it first to be sure!
Briggs and Stratton

cdestuck

Threads
795387 That is the seal part number, double check it first to be sure!
Briggs and Stratton

Isnt the hole in the frame just below the crank seal big enough to put a new seal through. I had this same problem with a 325 Deere and the hole in the frame was large enough to remove the old one and reinstall the new one.