Mower deck Cub Cadet LTX1040 Deck Belt Probs

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Hi all! I have 2010 CC ltx1040, and it just started yesterday, the deck belt keeps popping off one or both pulleys, mainly the pulley that moves when the blades get activated. ??a
THANKS!:newhere:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Hi all! I have 2010 CC ltx1040, and it just started yesterday, the deck belt keeps popping off one or both pulleys,mainly the pulley that moves when the blades get activated. ??a
THANKS!:newhere:

I mean the idler pulley :)

DSHAFFER

Forum Newbie
Threads
If your mower is 7 years old, it may be time for a new belt. Also, recommend that the deck only be engaged when deck is at highest setting. This makes the pulleys align better. Check for play in the idler pulley(s). If they are wiggling, loose or moving up and down, you need to remove deck and tighten or replace the arm bolts.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
All new belts in May. It's not doing it anymore.

DSHAFFER

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Cub Cadet LTX1040/LT 1045 Deck Belt Probs

My Scrub is a 2006 LT 1045, three blade model with Kohler Courage ("The Crappy Kohler") 20 HP. I am second owner, originally bought from local dealer. I suspect the dealer was aware of the top case bolts coming loose and took the time to Loctite them prior to delivery. I check them every year, still tight. Have never had a minutes problem with this engine and it has plenty of power to cut Southern St Augustine. About 200 total hours which is not much for 2006 model.

The previous owner had lots of problem throwing deck belt and dealer installed a "Pulley Kit" which I think is only a larger idler pulley. It helped and when I got mower I installed a Kevlar belt which also helped. You have to watch the idler pulleys closely to make sure they are lined up with drive pulley correctly. It not, bend the arms back straight. I also have added some washers underneath to reinforce the deck and spread the load. Had the idler arms welded to correct spring holes where vibration had made them oblong.

I also keep an eye on the three spindles, which are tapered roller bearings with grease fittings on my unit. Have never replaced any of the bearings nor spindles. I use a nice creamy multipurpose EP2 grease from TSC which works great.

When I engage the deck, I always have deck at highest lever (5) as it most closely aligns the deck pulleys with the drive pulley. I cut on level 4 which is perfect for my yard.

Overall, I think my Scrub is a helluva unit, especially considering the original price of $1600.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I think Scrubs are a hit n miss on quality. We have had to replace OEM deck spindles at least 4 times since 2010. New solenoid 2011, and 2013, New starter 2012.