Poppie51

Threads
Hi, My name is Randall, my kids call me Poppie. I have a 14.5hp Craftsman riding lawnmower with a 42" deck. I also have a 19 hp Craftsman which also has a 42" deck. They are both older models but have never given me much trouble,until now. I don't think it's a major problem but my lack of knowledge is making it more difficult than necessary. The 14.5hp was given to me a few years ago by my father in law. It has always been a little hard to shift gears but now it is to the point that it's almost impossible the change from one gear to another. It runs fine once it's in gear and all the gears work it's just hard shifting from one gear to another. I don't want to continue using the mower in case it will make things worse. I think the transaxle either needs more fluid or it needs cleaning but I can not find any way to check the fluid level. I have searched online and several places shows where the level is checked but mine does not have this opening. I was also told to use 80/90 gear oil, is this correct? It's a craftsman 14.5 hp with a 6 speed spicer transaxle.The model number is 917.270532. If anyone has any helpful information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Poppie

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Go to the sears we site and download the owners manuals for your mowers.
Some of the older models have tractor boxes and they are not supposed to change gears while moving, in fact doing that can destroy the transmission.
Some have variable drive pulleys which need a lube ever now & then
Some times the linkages on the clutch brake pedal get worn & need adjustments.

Poppie51

Threads
I have never tried to shift gears while moving so not sure if it's possible or if it would strip the gears. When I'm at a complete stop you can't change gears with the shifter. You can take a wrench and pull on the bracket where the shifter connects to the transaxle and change gears but it shouldn't be that hard to operate. I have looked at the owners manual and can't find anything concerning a fill or a drain plug. It only shows where the shift rod connects.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
sounds like the clutch is not fully dissengaging.
It is a bit complicated.
the one pedal makes the belt go slak to take the load off the box allowing the shifting and also applies the brake.
So if the belt is not full slack so loading up the box and the brake is applied shifting will be very hard.

Test is to shift engine off.
If that is easier than shifting engine on the clutch needs an adjustment.

having said that, the shifting links do wear and need some lube.
Depending upon the age of the machine you could have a car type H shift (sort of ) or a linnear shift.
The latter has a detent plunger inside the box that occasionally gives you grief.

But in either case it is box out to service.

Also check the mounting bolts.
The tranny will have bolts at the axel to the frame plus some sort of support at the front to prevent it rotating .
Thes break / fall out then the box twists a bit and that throws all of the changing linkages out of place.

Poppie51

Threads
Thanks Bertsmobile1, I have disconnected everything from the transaxle and it is still hard to shift so it has to be something inside the transaxle. I still can't find a fill or drain plug. All I can find is about 15 bolts which bolts the transaxle housing together. It looks fairly simply to separate the housing but surely that isn't the only way to replace the lubricate. I've looked at the owners manual and can't find the fill or drain plug on there either. Does anyone know what type lubricate the transaxle takes? Since it isn't working anyway I may just separate the housing and see if it needs cleaning, is low on lubricate or if the unit needs to be replaced.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Craftsman section.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks Bertsmobile1, I have disconnected everything from the transaxle and it is still hard to shift so it has to be something inside the transaxle. I still can't find a fill or drain plug. All I can find is about 15 bolts which bolts the transaxle housing together. It looks fairly simply to separate the housing but surely that isn't the only way to replace the lubricate. I've looked at the owners manual and can't find the fill or drain plug on there either. Does anyone know what type lubricate the transaxle takes? Since it isn't working anyway I may just separate the housing and see if it needs cleaning, is low on lubricate or if the unit needs to be replaced.

Yep, pull it apart.
Nothing frightening in there
If it is a Tecumseh / Peerless tranny the manuals are available free on line and the others are all basically the same.
The two halves are glued together with silicon so be carefull when you split them.
Pressure wash the outside before you start.
Look closely at the join line and you will see some pry points cast into the casings.
Usually you need to remove the drive pulley to get to the bolts there will be a couple in the middle of the box as well.
Once they are all out I put the pulley back on which stops the bevel gear falling out.
I use 00 Lithium grease in all of them regardless of what the makers recommend as most old boxes are flogged a bit and tend to leak.
Get it from a tractor store in a 5 gal pail for around the same price as a quart bottle from a mower shop

Poppie51

Threads
Thanks Bertsmobile1 for the advice. I have been away from the computer for a few days, been busy on other projects. I am off from work this weekend and will be working on the lawnmower so I will let you know how things goes.