Blades Unbalanced cutting blade John Deere SX75

dukerocks

Threads
Will an unbalanced cutting blade cause the engine to overheat? I have a John Deere SX75.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, unbalanced blade will cause vibration, and maybe premature bearing failure. The overheating would be caused by clogged cooling fins, on engine or partially sheared flywheel key, or engine running too lean.

Threads
I agree with IL Engine.. A bent or unbalanced blade will cause vibrations.. The belts will take out some vibes from the engine though.

When did you get this mower ?? How long did it set ?? Maybe you have a mouse nest under the air shroud not letting the air flow around the air fins. ?? Low oil could do that also.

Do you feel way more heat than usual around the engine ?? Let us know Mon Ami Plus Tard ~!~!

dukerocks

Threads
Thank you for two excellent answers. I have owned this mower for close to 25 years. I have done almost 95% of the maintenance & preventative maintenance. Normally I cannot see the cooling fins because there is a spark plug access cover. I also have some concerns about the PTO belt not working properly. I did change that belt recently with a JD belt from my dealer. One would think the belt is a little too long because of the slack. I am thinking about running my mower into my dealer soon.

Again, THANK YOU!

Bob

mjb8fj

Threads
No, unbalanced blade will cause vibration, and maybe premature bearing failure. The overheating would be caused by clogged cooling fins, on engine or partially sheared flywheel key, or engine running too lean.

I agree with you here. The blade is completely different from the engine. I know they didnt make those cooling fins easy to get to on these models.
On the rear engine riders like this, thats a big blade spinning around at 3600rpm. Fortunatly they made the housing and the bearings in the deck pretty strong, but over time the bearings will fail. Its kinda funny that most techs and engineers stayed away from these for some reason, I always liked them and still work on them and build them at the house.