HRB 217 Surging after taking air cleaner off

okfine

Threads
Ok I am working on my neighbors HRB 217. The original problem was it wasn't shutting off. I took the air cleaner off so I could see behind it. Found a wire that was unplugged and fixed that. When I was putting it back together the carb came loose and the heat shield and gaskets. I put it back on and now I get surging and some back firing. I could use some help with what to do next. Should I order new gaskets, I also noticed that the fuel line is leaking next to carb. Thanks for the help.

Ava.Feret

Threads
Yes, replace the gaskets. It sounds like you have an air leak. I use studs to align the carburetor and gaskets before I switch to the bolts.
Heck if you go that far I would clean the carburetor. There is plenty of info on this site to guide you!

okfine

Threads
Thanks for the help, waiting for parts

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok I am working on my neighbors HRB 217. Thanks for the help.

23501867868_a14bffde9f_o.png

37097211340_f7c0f82209_o.png

36683687013_dd6a68eb10_o.png

Honda Tech

Threads
Thanks for the help, waiting for parts

Be sure to follow the illustration Robert provided for the correct gasket placement. As Robert mentioned, if you can find some studs to assist with the assembly, they will prevent you from 'dropping' as gasket and causing an air leak, which I assume was the cause when you reassembled. It's a lot to keep together and get correctly assembled. Even experienced techs will occasionally drop a gasket during assembly if they don't use studs to assist.

okfine

Threads
Are the stud bolts pictured a temp fix or do they replace the bolts that I have now. The bolts go thru the air cleaner and then into engine block. The stud bolts look a lot easier and where do you get them. Thanks for your help

Honda Tech

Threads
Are the stud bolts pictured a temp fix or do they replace the bolts that I have now. The bolts go thru the air cleaner and then into engine block. The stud bolts look a lot easier and where do you get them. Thanks for your help

The studs Honda recommends using is p/n - 90013-ZG9-T00. 2 required. They are 6mmx83mm. This part number is an exhaust stud and it has a shoulder on it that would need to be ground down. Many techs will use a 6mm bolt and cut to length.
The stud is used only as an aid for assembly. Thread the studs into the cylinder. Assemble gaskets, carb., air filter base. Once everything is in place, apply pressure to the air filter base towards the engine so that nothing will slip when you remove the stud. Remove stud and insert bolt one at a time. Properly tighten bolts, install air filter and cover.

Thank you,

Ava.Feret

Threads
I purchased my studs on Ebay. It cost less than $3.
M6/6mm NEW Double Threaded Rods S304 rod tooth Stud bolts x90mm.
The ones from Honda are the flywheel cover studs and they have to be ground down.