Scag Turf Tiger ll / Diesel

Threads
I want to know everything there is to know about it..My dealer has never sold one..I don't understand why..Anyone actually used one I'd love to hear from you..Thanks

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm sure the reason he hasn't sold one is because they're not cheap and people are. It's truly a case of paying for what you get.

I've had a Kubota diesel tractor for 15 years and all I've ever had to do is change the oil, filters and coolant. Diesels are slightly more fuel efficient, in part due to their high compression ratio and the fact that there are more BTUs per gallon of diesel fuel than in a gallon of gasoline. When I mow, using a rear mounted mower, I run it at 1800 to 2000 rpm. No need to run wide open as the grass cuts just fine and the clippings are well scattered.

http://scag.com/stt_25kdb.html

Threads
I too run a John Deere diesel powered belly mower..I love it..It operates at lower rpm's and is much less stressful to operate and has never had a single problem in 17 years..It uses a narrower mower and I doubt it would perform well with the 61" velocity mower..My concern is that the 25 hp Scag would be underpowered..

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm pretty sure the Scag engineers took power requirements into account when they chose the 25 hp Kubota engine.

If you're worried about the 25 hp diesel rating as compared to the 35 hp gas engine rating, don't be. This engine operates at lower rpms than the gas engine. It will have more torque than the gas engines. I think the engine in my tractor is rated at 27.5 PTO hp. If I were to replace it with one of those 35 hp V-twin gas engines, I guarantee it would be a downgrade in performance. It powers a 6-foot mower with ease and I don't even run it at full power. IIRC, when I bought the mower, the salesman said my tractor could power a 7-foot mower if I wanted--and that's at 27.5 hp.

Threads
I'm pretty sure the Scag engineers took power requirements into account when they chose the 25 hp Kubota engine.

If you're worried about the 25 hp diesel rating as compared to the 35 hp gas engine rating, don't be. This engine operates at lower rpms than the gas engine. It will have more torque than the gas engines. I think the engine in my tractor is rated at 27.5 PTO hp. If I were to replace it with one of those 35 hp V-twin gas engines, I guarantee it would be a downgrade in performance. It powers a 6-foot mower with ease and I don't even run it at full power. IIRC, when I bought the mower, the salesman said my tractor could power a 7-foot mower if I wanted--and that's at 27.5 hp.

My experience with my own John Deere diesel (unknown h.p. but I think around 22) and Scag 31 h.p. Kawasaki engine suggest the same thing but I just don't understand it..Seems to me like horsepower is horsepower..

Threads
okay..Just pulled my records..My John Deere was purchased 7/31/1997..It is 22 h.p. yanmar diesel engine with 54" mid mount mower..Never a single problem with the engine and cuts about as well as my Scag Cheetah with 31 h.p. Kawasaki engine with 61" velocity mower..I guess that is about what should be expected with the 7" difference in cutting width..Still leaves me with skepticism about how much difference 3 more h.p. would make on a 61" cutter..

I really doubt the 25 hp scag diesel would cut what the Vanguard 35 hp would..What do you think?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, I know but it really isn't a good comparison.

If horsepower alone were a good way to compare engines, it would make no difference if you put a 300 hp L-10 Cummins or a 300 hp small block Chevy in an 80,000 lb tractor trailer.

The first generation Dodge Cummins pickups proved it, as well. I think the first generation Dodge Cummins was only rated at 140 or maybe 175 horsepower but would easily outpull gas engines with much higher hp ratings.

Threads
Yeah, I know but it really isn't a good comparison.

If horsepower alone were a good way to compare engines, it would make no difference if you put a 300 hp L-10 Cummins or a 300 hp small block Chevy in an 80,000 lb tractor trailer.

The first generation Dodge Cummins pickups proved it, as well. I think the first generation Dodge Cummins was only rated at 140 or maybe 175 horsepower but would easily outpull gas engines with much higher hp ratings.

I dunno, you may be right, that's why I'm asking..I have no doubt the diesel will outlast the gasoline engine and I'm sure it will pull a heavier load but what I want to know is how they compare at cutting heavy Bahia grass...

I also worry about it getting stuck easier as I sometimes find myself in a slick soft spot..

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't even know what Bahia grass is, but I'll bet the diesel cuts it better than a gas engine. It has more torque and that's what does the work.

As far as weights go, the 61" diesel model is shown as being 95 lbs heavier than the gas model. For some strange reason, the 72" model is shown as being 255 lbs heavier than a gas model. That doesn't make any sense, because it's the same engine for both models.

I got those numbers from the owner's manual that is downloadable on the Scag website.

As to whether the additional weight hurts or helps, I can't answer. It's over the drive wheels which I would think would help unless you get in really soft stuff.

Threads
I don't even know what Bahia grass is, but I'll bet the diesel cuts it better than a gas engine. It has more torque and that's what does the work.

As far as weights go, the 61" diesel model is shown as being 95 lbs heavier than the gas model. For some strange reason, the 72" model is shown as being 255 lbs heavier than a gas model. That doesn't make any sense, because it's the same engine for both models.

I got those numbers from the owner's manual that is downloadable on the Scag website.

As to whether the additional weight hurts or helps, I can't answer. It's over the drive wheels which I would think would help unless you get in really soft stuff.

Man I think your're gonna cost me a couple extra thousand bucks! :laughing: