Scag Turf Tiger ll / Diesel

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A Tiger Cat with a Kawasaki gas engine would be either an FX691V or an FX730V depending on the deck size.

helomech

Threads
But I need something that will cut tall thick grass...I have a 93 hp John Deere tractor I use for dragging big stuff..

That wasn't my point. My point was any work is done with torque, not hp. hp is just a measure of torque at a given rpm.

My jacobsen is only 25 hp kubota diesel and it NEVER bogs down no matter what grass I cut. It will chop small trees without bogging down. The only thing that ever happens is if a big branch gets under it, the belt will slip, but the engine never even sounds like it is trying.

Threads
A Tiger Cat with a Kawasaki gas engine would be either an FX691V or an FX730V depending on the deck size.

I know..I have the FX691V on my Cheetah but I've heard some don't like the larger engine..Is there a problem with the 691?

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If torque is a better measure of ability to cut grass why are torque numbers not given?

The 22hp Kawasaki motors on the Tiger Cats are pretty impressive with power and durability. The secret again though to cutting the bahia grass is the velocity deck. We have had people stop where we were cutting grass and get out and kick the trimmings off the top and just look and say, " I didn't believe it would cut like that until I saw it."

One quick not on that. YOU HAVE TO KEEP SHARP BLADES ON THEM TO DO THAT.

Many days when cutting like that we have changed blades the third time in a 10 or 11 hour day to accomplish this.

Threads
The 22hp Kawasaki motors on the Tiger Cats are pretty impressive with power and durability. The secret again though to cutting the bahia grass is the velocity deck. We have had people stop where we were cutting grass and get out and kick the trimmings off the top and just look and say, " I didn't believe it would cut like that until I saw it."

One quick not on that. YOU HAVE TO KEEP SHARP BLADES ON THEM TO DO THAT.

Many days when cutting like that we have changed blades the third time in a 10 or 11 hour day to accomplish this.

It would take me 10 - 11 hours just to change the blades 3 times on my Cheetah..I try to change them every couple of years... :)

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It would take me 10 - 11 hours just to change the blades 3 times on my Cheetah..I try to change them every couple of years... :)

We can change a set on a Tiger Cat in less than 5 minutes.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
People think they understand horsepower. They've grown up with it. Everything they own or read about is rated in horsepower, from their cars to the tiny electric motors in their electric razors to a railway locomotive. They can visualize this massive animal and combine that with the knowledge that their lawnmower has the equivalent power of 35 of them which can be put to work any time they want.

Torque? Not so much. How do you visualize torque? I don't know how many people have asked me how many horsepower a 'torque' rating on a small engine represents. They are at a loss; 6.75 ft-lb of torque means nothing to them.