Scag Turf Tiger ll / Diesel

Threads
How could I find out the torque ratings of the Scag diesel and the Scag Briggs and Stratton Vanguard?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to see the whole graph of Torque vs RPM. It's the area under the curve that matters.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I might not be smart enough to understand all of the technical terms associated with this thread. I do know one thing. I cut 90 plus properties in South Alabama over a two week period. 95% plus of those properties are Bahia Grass or partial Bahia Grass. In July and August when the afternoon rains start and the nights stay in the 80's it is almost like you can hear the mess growing.

I see debate on here an other places as to what will cut it and what will not cut it.

I run Tiger Cat Scags with 52" decks and Kawasaki engines.

I have on several different occasions run Turf Tigers with 35 hp Vanguards and 61" decks on them.

I once ran ZD 326 Kubota mower before going to Scags.

I have found NOTHING that will cut Bahia Grass with a 52" Tiger Cat Scag. The 61" Turf Tiger will cut it but not like the Tiger Cat. Over the course of several hours the Tiger Cat will cut more acres of grass than the Turf Tiger because of the fact that the Turf Tiger has to run slower or it will leave stringers that the Tiger Cats don't leave.

I have run them in the same properties, side by side. I have run the Turf Tiger and put my operators on the Tiger Cats. Then I have taken the Turf Tiger and put an employee on the Tiger Cats. Regardless of which of us runs it we see the same results.

I ran a Tiger Cat in the same yards as the ZD 326 Kubota with a 60" Deck. I never could get it to cut any where close to as clean as the Tiger Cat. I ran it myself and I had my operators try it and swapped back.

I still have a ZG 222 Kubota that is useless to cut Bahia grass because you have to make double passes over the Bahia to get it cut.

As much grass as I cut I need a bigger decked mower. I am going to look hard at a 72" or 61" Cheeta this coming year. I do not know what the outcome of that will be yet.

Everybody seems to have an opinion on what will Bahia grass and what won't. That is my observation.

I have on Tiger Cat that is above the 1600 hour mark. The deck has been worn through and patched several times. Abused is not a strong enough word for what that mower has been through. It has been assaulted or molested. That better describes how it has been used and it goes daily with little down time.

If you want to spend money. Buy something else. If you want to cut grass get a Tiger Cat Scag.

Threads
I might not be smart enough to understand all of the technical terms associated with this thread. I do know one thing. I cut 90 plus properties in South Alabama over a two week period. 95% plus of those properties are Bahia Grass or partial Bahia Grass. In July and August when the afternoon rains start and the nights stay in the 80's it is almost like you can hear the mess growing.

I see debate on here an other places as to what will cut it and what will not cut it.

I run Tiger Cat Scags with 52" decks and Kawasaki engines.

I have on several different occasions run Turf Tigers with 35 hp Vanguards and 61" decks on them.

I once ran ZD 326 Kubota mower before going to Scags.

I have found NOTHING that will cut Bahia Grass with a 52" Tiger Cat Scag. The 61" Turf Tiger will cut it but not like the Tiger Cat. Over the course of several hours the Tiger Cat will cut more acres of grass than the Turf Tiger because of the fact that the Turf Tiger has to run slower or it will leave stringers that the Tiger Cats don't leave.

I have run them in the same properties, side by side. I have run the Turf Tiger and put my operators on the Tiger Cats. Then I have taken the Turf Tiger and put an employee on the Tiger Cats. Regardless of which of us runs it we see the same results.

I ran a Tiger Cat in the same yards as the ZD 326 Kubota with a 60" Deck. I never could get it to cut any where close to as clean as the Tiger Cat. I ran it myself and I had my operators try it and swapped back.

I still have a ZG 222 Kubota that is useless to cut Bahia grass because you have to make double passes over the Bahia to get it cut.

As much grass as I cut I need a bigger decked mower. I am going to look hard at a 72" or 61" Cheeta this coming year. I do not know what the outcome of that will be yet.

Everybody seems to have an opinion on what will Bahia grass and what won't. That is my observation.

I have on Tiger Cat that is above the 1600 hour mark. The deck has been worn through and patched several times. Abused is not a strong enough word for what that mower has been through. It has been assaulted or molested. That better describes how it has been used and it goes daily with little down time.

If you want to spend money. Buy something else. If you want to cut grass get a Tiger Cat Scag.

Interesting...What is it about the Tiger Cat you think makes it superior to the Turf Tiger?

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting...What is it about the Tiger Cat you think makes it superior to the Turf Tiger?

We were discussing that this afternoon trying to come to that very conclusion. I honestly do not know. We ran a Turf Tiger yesterday some and again today some.

It was brand new. We ran it an Two Tiger Cats both times on the same properties. One of the Tiger Cats has over 1600 hours on it and one has around 1000 hours on it. (Hour Meter is broken).

Do not get me wrong I do not think it is junk. It will cut grass. However for some reason the Tiger Cat in my opinion and the guys who work with me also makes a cleaner cut at as fast or faster speed than the Turf Tiger II will. ON BAHIA GRASS that is tall. On shorter grass the Turf Tiger will smoke the Tiger Cat. it runs faster and is 9" wider......

Because you have to slow down so slow to make it cut it the faster speed is of no use.

Since we cut so much Bahia Grass that is our choice.

I am wondering if it is the 52" deck verses the 61" deck. I have never operated a Tiger Cat with the 61" deck. It would have to be the difference in the air flow out of the 52" deck or possibly something different in the blade tip velocity or something like that. Not sure.

Since the Cheeta appears to be closer in appearance to the Tiger Cat I would love to try one of those out and see what it does i the mess.

If you live in an area that does not have Bahia Grass you do not know what you are missing. Here in Lower Alabama in a Summer like we have had it has been a beast to contend with. We have cut Bahia that could have literally been raked and baled.

Threads
I often wish I could bale my bahia....I use the Cheetah with the 61" cutter and the larger Kawasaki engine..My only complaint is that I don't like the twittchiness of the controls..It is just too fast to suit me..More experienced operators might like it...

Threads
I might add the Cheetah cuts that Bahai very well...I have never changed blades more than once a year and it still cuts well...You should give the Cheetah a try..

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I often wish I could bale my bahia....I use the Cheetah with the 61" cutter and the larger Kawasaki engine..My only complaint is that I don't like the twittchiness of the controls..It is just too fast to suit me..More experienced operators might like it...

Most of the time I run a Tiger Cat with one hand. Sometimes right and sometimes left but I catch myself when I notice normally it is one hand.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is the difference between hydrostatic drives and wheel motors with separate pumps.
Tiger Cubs/Cats are compact machines with high blade tip speeds, wheel motors/pumps, simple drive and deck drive components, relatively easy to service and do blade changes on. Easy to operate with and without a collection system.:cool:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Blade Change on the Velocity deck is so easy because all you have to do is raise the mower high enough for the blade bolt to drop out clear of the deck. We have a 19 volt cordless impact that we change blades with. We raise the deck with a small floor jack placed under the front of the deck. Be sure that it is on level ground, (preferably cement) also make sure that the parking brake is released. Leaving it locked can pull it off of the jack when you raise it. Take the impact and take the nuts off of the blade bolts from the top. the bolts with the blades and spacers will fall to the ground. Then change the blades on the bolts and then one by one stick the bolt back through the hole from the bottom and start the nut on each one. This can be achieved by dropping on one knee and sticking the blade bolt in and holding it on place while starting the nut with the other hand. Once all three are started then take the impact and tighten the bolts. One person can change them in 10 minutes or less. With all of us working together we can literally change them in like 3 minutes from the time we start jacking till we let the jack down......