Repairs S21ZSR RPM

kmanning

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cleaned the carburetor and replaced the carb gaskets, and replaced the spring underneath the governor air vane. After putting it back together I adjusted the rich/lean screw and turned the collar under the air vane clockwise to bump up the RPM. The mower is cutting fine and I get good response from the self-propelled. I do not have a tach, and I suspect that I do not have the RPM cranked up as high as supposed to be. But since I don't have a tach I am worried that if I get them too high it will be bad for the engine, correct? Is there any harm to the mower in running it with the RPM set below spec?

Teds

Threads
You can buy digital tach, inductive type for small engines - for eight bucks, delivered. Check that auction site.

Don't know about harm to the engine, but the quality of the cut may suffer. LawnBoy mowers excelled in this for a few different reasons, one of them being high RPM, or maybe a better way to put it, they don't bog down, the governor is quick and responsive. Federal regulations limit a 21" blade to 3200 RPM or somesuch, consequently you want every bit of that. They were designed and engineered for 3600 RPM. Add to that a quality sharp, balanced, and straight blade, it will plow through even thick wet grass without complaint. I've tried quite a few different push mowers and there is really no comparison. The fact that they are so lightweight seals the deal.

kmanning

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks--this information is very helpful. Yes, this mower makes the nicest-looking cut of any mower I have ever used on the yard.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The deck is designed for a specific engine speed usually +/- 100 rpm
Most will spin anywhere from 3200 rpm to 3800 rpm and are safe to a little over 4000.
The "deluxe" & "quiet" models spin a little slower and that makes a massive difference to the sound level both from the engine & the blades.