X500 fuel solenoid/ fuel shut off causing engine to die?

Dogwalker10

Threads
  • / X500 fuel solenoid/ fuel shut off causing engine to die?
After about an hour mowing the engine suddenly dies. It will restart but die again then not restart until the engine cools. One guy at the dealer thought it was ignition solenoid, but the other said it has 2 solenoids so would run rough before it dies, he guessed the fuel solenoid plunger sticking. any thoughts?
Jerry

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As per the reply in a different sub section, go to your dealer and beg borrow or buy a bowl bolt.
Substitute the bowl bolt for the solenoid and see what happens.
You can also get an in line red neon tube spark tester.
Hook it up and also go mow. when it wont restart watch the tester.
No glow then you have an electrical problem.
Get back with the outcome.

Been There

Threads
I think you are looking in the wrong direction-solution for your problem. This tractor has the infamous "Time Delay Module" and they are known to cause a pain you know where. It's bolted to the left side of the engine right next or near the starter. Probably a round black devil with several wires going somewhere, where there is trouble brewing.

Here is one remedy to see if it is the problem. When the engine quits again, take a wooden or plastic handle screwdriver and "slightly" tap this dude. Not to hard, just enough to wake it up. If the tractor starts after you have done this, you now know what is the problem. You can buy this piece of plastic...TDM on ebay for about $20.00

Last edited:

Dogwalker10

Threads
As per the reply in a different sub section, go to your dealer and beg borrow or buy a bowl bolt.
Substitute the bowl bolt for the solenoid and see what happens.
You can also get an in line red neon tube spark tester.
Hook it up and also go mow. when it wont restart watch the tester.
No glow then you have an electrical problem.
Get back with the outcome.
Thanks,I think I found the problem

Dogwalker10

Threads
I think you are looking in the wrong direction-solution for your problem. This tractor has the infamous "Time Delay Module" and they are known to cause a pain you know where. It's bolted to the left side of the engine right next or near the starter. Probably a round black devil with several wires going somewhere, where there is trouble brewing.

Here is one remedy to see if it is the problem. When the engine quits again, take a wooden or plastic handle screwdriver and "slightly" tap this dude. Not to hard, just enough to wake it up. If the tractor starts after you have done this, you now know what is the problem. You can buy this piece of plastic...TDM on ebay for about $20.00
I think you pegged it. I tapped it a couple of time and mowed for an hour with no problems.
How hard are they to replace?
Jerry

DSteve34

Threads
FYI if you ever actually have a problem with the fuel solenoid you can just cut the metal pin off. I've done that multiple times. That makes sure that the fuel is getting past. I do realize that it's meant to keep fuel from getting sucked into the cylinders when you shut the engine off and its not getting burned up but this can help if you are not getting power to the solenoid. Some engines don't even have a fuel solenoid. I probably wouldn't do it to my jd 425 but I've done it on smaller mowers.