Cub Cadet GT 1554 Kohler Courage twin cylinder

meri0809

Forum Newbie
Threads
Like many others, I have experienced "issues" with this Kohler engine. I purchased the mower new in 2006, it has 177 hours on it. The engine recently stopped running altogether. Since it had a new battery, I changed out the starter solenoid. (Starter is new) Still no start. I dropped the deck and took to a reputable service center. Fly wheel was jammed and apparently there is some damage to the interior. Not sure what may have caused the damage, possibly when serviced and the new starter put in. The service center suggested using an automotive product called Restore. I used this product years ago in a 70 Challenger and it did wonders for the engine. Long story short, engine is blowing a little oil at first but smooths out and runs great after a couple minutes. Since I have livestock and use the mower all year long, the service center suggested an oil change after the first 10 hours using a good 10w30 oil and 8 oz of Restore, then every 25 hours thereafter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are mowing pasture I would go with a strait 30 , a 20W 40 or even a 20W 50.
The only reason for using a 10W 30 is if you are pushing snow or trying to start the mower early in the morning on a very cold day or are using a pull starter.
10W 30 is 10W oil with addatives to stop it thinning when hot.
So when cold it is very thin thus the small amount of smoke when cold

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your thread over to our Cub Cadet section :)

meri0809

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are mowing pasture I would go with a strait 30 , a 20W 40 or even a 20W 50.
The only reason for using a 10W 30 is if you are pushing snow or trying to start the mower early in the morning on a very cold day or are using a pull starter.
10W 30 is 10W oil with addatives to stop it thinning when hot.
So when cold it is very thin thus the small amount of smoke when cold

Hi and thanks. That makes perfect sense. I don't mow the pasture as the horses take care of that for me. I do haul manure in a spreader a few times a week and mow the front half acre a couple times a year.