Flywheel / no crank questions

Jmoxie

Threads
Hello again all. I have a Murray 1996 and 42828x8B, with 16hp Tecumseh engine. Mower has been working great all season. This weekend it started up and then after about short time stopped immediately. No slow sputter type but hard and fast. After that I got no crank at all. Went through the normal switch check and battery and found solenoid fuse and solenoid toast. Jumped and found the starter now would crank but would not spin the flywheel.

Myself questions are should the flywheel turn? Mine is not moving at all. Also the ignition coil looks like it is tight against the flywheel is that normal? Any ideas where to go from here? What are my next steps? Is engine seized? Or am I missing something with troubleshooting why the flywheel won't turn or move at all.

Thanks.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Picture of ignition coil tight against flywheel would help.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
And the engine model number would also help...!

Jmoxie

Threads
Engine is Tecumseh ohv16 204211c

I have pictures but won't be able to put up here till tomorrow. I took off the ignition coil and pulled spark plug to see if those helped but still flywheel does not budge.

Pumper54

Threads
If you hit something mowing you might have sheared the fly wheel key. You will have to pull the fly wheel to check/replace it. They can be a real booger bear to remove.

Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Assuming there is nothing under the engine jambing the belts.
either the engine is seized or there is something under the flywheel jambed between the stator & the magnets.
Usual suspect for that is a broken magnet.
Pull the flywheel off and see if the engine rotates.
If not then something inside is busted and it is pull apart time

Jmoxie

Threads
That's what I am trying to get to. If there is any other reason the flywheel will not turn. ( magnets, brake etc.) Is there a way to disengage the magnets or brake on the flywheel?

If this engine is seized up internally I wont be putting a lot more money into it. But if there is something I can do relatively inexpensive then I will try to make it go again.

thanks for any and all advice.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have pictures but won't be able to put up here till tomorrow. I took off the ignition coil and pulled spark plug to see if those helped but still flywheel does not budge.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 6

Jmoxie

Threads
here is the Tecumseh Enduro engine label from the side of the engine

Tecumseh 16hp.JPG