Lawn-boy Silver Duraforce 10323 mulching fan

Mike88se

Threads
I bought a 10323 awhile back because I have some steep ditch I have to mow and I didn't want the oil starvation to be a problem in my 4 stroke mower. I don't see how this fan could help with mulching. Those fan blades are going to push grass blades down.
a9-13-17_007.JPG

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lifting blade. Can tell by the upward bend.

Mike88se

Threads
Are you looking at the blade or the fan? That fan is not going to be doing any lifting. Its sails are completely opposite of the way the sails are oriented on a lifting blade. I can't see it doing anything but opposing the lift from the sail on the cutting blade.

Lift blade sails are like this obviously ____/
The fan sails are like this: \____ = down force.
Maybe a better pic helps. a9-13-17_006.JPG

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes that picture is much better. You are correct. I would think the extra blade is wrong.

Mike88se

Threads
Yes that picture is much better. You are correct. I would think the extra blade is wrong.

Thanks... thought I was going crazy there. I'll probably just leave that off. Maybe sometime when I'm feeling really bored I might try bending those sails back the other way and install it just to see what happens. This thing will be great for mowing ditches if I can get it to run right... reliably. I don't know who made this engine but doesn't seem equal to the Suzuki 2 strokes on old Toro mowers.

Lawnboy77

Threads
I have had one model of F series that came with a mulch fan (model 10420) and I didn't notice it being of any use, so I removed it to. I have no experience with those Duraforce engines, but I know they have a reputation of having finicky carbs. Many folks have had success at modifying those carbs by installing a bigger jet and a different throttle plate to take care of that lean surge issue. If you are interested I think you can do a search on this forum, or Mytractorforum.com for the details on just how to do the mod. Those modern plastic carbs are notorious for warped mounting flanges so you might want to check that as well. I have heard a few owners report that fixing the warped flange was all that was needed.

Mike88se

Threads
I have had one model of F series that came with a mulch fan (model 10420) and I didn't notice it being of any use, so I removed it to. I have no experience with those Duraforce engines, but I know they have a reputation of having finicky carbs. Many folks have had success at modifying those carbs by installing a bigger jet and a different throttle plate to take care of that lean surge issue. If you are interested I think you can do a search on this forum, or Mytractorforum.com for the details on just how to do the mod. Those modern plastic carbs are notorious for warped mounting flanges so you might want to check that as well. I have heard a few owners report that fixing the warped flange was all that was needed.
I haven't noticed a lean surge. A couple of times the mower just quit running as if it wasn't getting gas. I replaced the blade earlier and started it up to see how it cut w/o the mulching fan. It cuts better BTW. It stopped running after a few minutes mowing. Now it will run for a couple of seconds and then die. I've read that the carbs are really finicky and an inline fuel shutoff and filter are recommended. This one has a shutoff valve but no filter. I've also read there seems to be an issue with the ignition system also... specifically the coil. I'll install a filter next week and have a look at the carb.

lewb

Threads
I bought a 10323 awhile back because I have some steep ditch I have to mow and I didn't want the oil starvation to be a problem in my 4 stroke mower. I don't see how this fan could help with mulching. Those fan blades are going to push grass blades down.
View attachment 34234

All I can say is the mulching fan works, if you are side discharging then of course get rid of the fan. Cut some wet long grass and see how much the deck fill with clippings. I have never had any luck cutting without the fan trying to mulch.

unclelee

Threads
I used Duraforce mowers back when I had a lawn service and mulched exclusively, without the fan. Worked great.
I do notice however that those that say it works for them also mention side discharging. On Saint Augustine grass like we have in my area, that is not even an option as the blades are very wide and it just scatters them on the top of the lawn.
In consideration of this, I believe that the type of grass you are mowing plays into the results of the mower with or without the fan installed.
Lee

jp1961

Threads
I suppose the blade and fan, pushing air in opposite directions creates some kind of vortex that keeps recutting the clippings.

Regards

Jeff