Horrible deal

hrdman2luv

Threads
I bought a Murray (42") with a 17.5 or 18hp briggs. It ran, but not real good. The old lady I bought it from said she mowed with until the deck pulley started making a funny noise. She was asking $350 for it. But I ended up getting it for like $160.
I thought I'd made a pretty good deal, until I started fixing things. And then more things. And then more things.
1 new spindle. Bearings for the other. New idler pulleys. Rebuilt the carb. New drive and deck belt. And a clutch spring. Holy smack, I've never gotten ripped off by an old lady before. But I got it good this time around.
$160 for the mower. Almost $200 in parts. Plus 3/4 of the day fixing it. I've got it for sale for $500. But I'm sure I'll have to come down to $450.
All of that wasn't worth it, IMO.

What say you guys?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think you are paying too much money for your parts.

hrdman2luv

Threads
I think you are paying too much money for your parts.

Probably so. There's two places in town to get parts. I don't shop at one, because they're just rude.
But here's a parts list and prices of one visit for this murray
2 MTD Flat idler pulley 51.96
4 MTD Spindle screw 8.20
2 MTD High lift blade 27.24
1 MTD Spindle Assy 40.00
1 NGK SPark Plug 3.01

Total after taxes was just shy of $140.

Note: I get my used parts there pretty cheap. And advice on things I can't figure out. Like the Kawasaki gas tank (for a push mower I'm working on). A new one is $50 to $60. I got a good used one from him for $10.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I thought you had a Murray, not an MTD. That makes a difference in price.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I thought you had a Murray, not an MTD. That makes a difference in price.

Murray riders made after around 2010 are made by MTD. Somebody calls me up and says they have a murray push mower. and my first question is what is the model number from the tag, since early Murrays were made my Murray, The later Murray push mowers are made by both MTD and Husqvarna.

hrdman2luv

Threads
This Murray rider is an MTD made. Model number 13AM77LS058. The label says Manufactured by MTD Products.

NorthBama

Threads
Yes a person needs to watch out for those good deals. The best price is a free one then you can afford to put some money into parts, although you can drop 200 dollars into a free one. I call these money pits. I also call it live and learn.

hrdman2luv

Threads
Yes a person needs to watch out for those good deals. The best price is a free one then you can afford to put some money into parts, although you can drop 200 dollars into a free one. I call these money pits. I also call it live and learn.

I got'r all fixed up and ready to sell now. I'm glad the paint was still good. Or I'd be keeping this one for myself.