John Deere GT262

HankRHill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone know how to put fluid in the transmission on a John Deere GT262? If so please help! Also what type of fluid? Just normal transmission fluid?

Thanks!

Spencer Bell.

dfbroxy

Threads
NO TRANSMISSION FLUID

I havent looked up your mower model number but I know it doesnt use transmission fluid. That will ruin it. It will be some type of oil preferbly synthetic, It usually depends what type of climate u live in. I live in the south and use 20w50. but its a older mower and i only use it in the summer. And dont try to use hydrolic fluid either, same result.

HankRHill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I live in Alabama and mow for about two and a half hours at one time.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is a tag or spot on the tranny with numbers and maker. If you could get that for us we could get you all the specs and possible a repair manual as well.

TJR345

Threads
You add fluid in the dipstick plug rear left.Pretty much the hydro's in JD's take the JD brand low viscosity.Check with your dealer to be sure or you will ruin the transmission.

tyraen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone know how to put fluid in the transmission on a John Deere GT262? If so please help! Also what type of fluid? Just normal transmission fluid?

Thanks!

Spencer Bell.

Since there seems to be a lack of information on the GT262, I figured I would help out. I don't have a manual, but I've been running my GT262 this way for quite a while and it has not negatively affected the transmission's performance or wear. I searched and searched and couldn't get an exact answer as Tuff Torq has flushed any reference to this model of transaxle out of their systems. I should disclaim that the information is researched guesswork at best and possibly uninformed at worst, but I run full synthetic 5W20 motor oil and have had great results. There are references out there for 5W30 as well, but I figured running the lighter oil is a good compromise and I run the same weight in one of my vehicles, so I always have some sitting around unused when I do my oil changes. It's not a Ferrari on a racetrack, and I'm not pulling a freight train with it, so I figure I'm safe.

I hope that helps. I also tried to look up parts for repair if needed, but it looks like any kits Tuff Torq makes anymore are for their hydrostatic transaxle lines. Any bearings or seals would have to be measured and purchased individually from their respective dealers.

-Mike