Craftsman gt5000 54" deck works for a few feet then strains and quite turning

KINGSKIDS2

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman gt5000 54" deck works for a few feet then strains and quite turning
I just took the deck off of my craftsman GT5000 54" deck. I have the manual, Craftsman 917-276140 and sharpened the blades. Unfortunately, my manual is missing some instructions on how to re-attach the deck. I have the craftsman manual and the one downloaded online and it and its just not very clear on re attaching points for this deck. someone shared page 10 with me, but again, not very clear to where the swing arms go. the book shows them in two different places and I"ve tried both. Its not like any other craftsman deck that has videos online. its very different.

so I got it back together and It looks right, but the blades struggle to start, then I can mow about 10 feet and the blades slow down more and more and the engine strains more and more and then the blades just stop completely. I checked the spindles when I had it apart and they weren't grinding or anything. I've checked the belt positions againt the manual and its back on correctly. i'm at a loss. any help is appreciated

hrdman2luv

Threads
  • / Craftsman gt5000 54" deck works for a few feet then strains and quite turning
Re: Craftsman gt5000 54" deck works for a few feet then strains and quite turning

I just took the deck off of my craftsman GT5000 54" deck. I have the manual, Craftsman 917-276140 and sharpened the blades. Unfortunately, my manual is missing some instructions on how to re-attach the deck. I have the craftsman manual and the one downloaded online and it and its just not very clear on re attaching points for this deck. someone shared page 10 with me, but again, not very clear to where the swing arms go. the book shows them in two different places and I"ve tried both. Its not like any other craftsman deck that has videos online. its very different.

so I got it back together and It looks right, but the blades struggle to start, then I can mow about 10 feet and the blades slow down more and more and the engine strains more and more and then the blades just stop completely. I checked the spindles when I had it apart and they weren't grinding or anything. I've checked the belt positions againt the manual and its back on correctly. i'm at a loss. any help is appreciated

Post some pics of your connections.

If they're right, you carb may be flooding or something other than the deck/belt, dragging the engine down. My GT5000, as soon as I engaged the PTO, it would drag down and stop. Turns out, it was the carb. Rebuilt it, and it works like a champ. Except for the bad rings. Which I'm going to try to replace this winter. Until them, I mow the grass, choke the mosquito's and embarrass the wife at the same time. he he he he

KINGSKIDS2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Craftsman gt5000 54" deck works for a few feet then strains and quite turning

FOrgot to mention that the engine knocks loudly when it is straining to keep the blades going. I kill the engine right away and turn the blades off. If I restart, the whole process repeats itself. could something be stuck?

I noticed the freewheel lever does not seem to be working. I tried to push it out of the garage and could not push it even with the lever in disengage. No matter what I do, it acts like its still engaged or the brake is on, even though neither is true. I thought the brake may be frozen, but I can't tell.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

If the mower has brakes on the pulleys check that the belt is UNDER the brake pads.
With the deck in the off position the brake pads ( where fitted ) are hard up against the pulley and in the engaged position they move away thus if the belt is on the wrong side the blades have difficulty turning.
Nothing special about that deck but again check the belt routing with the deck high & the deck low
Get the front up on stands and try turning the blades by hand both turned on & off ( engine not running of course ) at both high & low cutting settings.
Then if still nothing apparent, get a helper to sit on the mower, str the engine & engage the blades while you watch, from a safe distance, fingers & toes out of harms way.

KINGSKIDS2

Forum Newbie
Threads

If the mower has brakes on the pulleys check that the belt is UNDER the brake pads.
With the deck in the off position the brake pads ( where fitted ) are hard up against the pulley and in the engaged position they move away thus if the belt is on the wrong side the blades have difficulty turning.
Nothing special about that deck but again check the belt routing with the deck high & the deck low
Get the front up on stands and try turning the blades by hand both turned on & off ( engine not running of course ) at both high & low cutting settings.
Then if still nothing apparent, get a helper to sit on the mower, str the engine & engage the blades while you watch, from a safe distance, fingers & toes out of harms way.

blades turning freely. One was a little wabbly so I replaced it. Rebuilt the carburator lats summer and only has been run a few hours until I took apart to sharpen the blades. This thing just has so many little things that have to be just perfect for it to run. Just can't figure out what to do next. I still wander if the fact that I can't push the lawn mower in freewheel mode since I took the deck off means anything. There is a drag, even with the freewheel on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Start the engine then apply the brake , get off and work the governor arm to open the throttle .
Do this slowly.
The engine should pick up speed smoothly and you should be able to maintain speed without problems or blowing smoke.

An engine thet knocks when the trhottle is opened up wide ( happens when you engage the blades ) is a sure sign of a head gasket leak between the cylinder and the outside.
When you open the throttle fully, it sucks air , runs lean so knocks.
This is generally accompanied with a little puff of white smoke.

KINGSKIDS2

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thank you everyone for the tips. I followed the suggestions. the brake was stuck so I sprayed the area around it with wd 40 and the next morning it released. The choke problem was that the throttle had evidently moved just enough to cause it to stall unless it was running in partial choke. I adjusted just a tiny bit and it purs like a kitten now, no more choke needed except to start. Connecting the deck back tomorrow, hoping that all runs smoothly now as well with the replaced a loose spindle and another that was not spinning as freely as it should. Also replaced the drive belt that was terribly worn out. Drove all around the yard and works great. Thanks so much for all the tips that helped get this thing working again!
:cool: