Excessive fuel consumption

Threads
I am not sure what you think this would affect as long as the clearance is correct. Not all of these engines had caps on the valves according to the Service Manual.

Walt Conner

Well Tinker this model came with the valve caps on them. That is critical on these mowers. The same as not getting the push rods in just right towards the crank case side.

Getting the right valve clearance is almost or impossible without the caps on and having the rods in right.

You go by the book. I go by experience, in fact over 35 years worth of it. Yes I do make a wrong decision and jump the gun on here every once in a while. Well maybe one wrong one, but I have helped a lot of people on here with the right advice and I try my best to bring other PRO'S in too. I don't try to inflate things or make them harder for the people that don't have the experience like we do.

If we tell people to go buy a service manual that costs them 40 bux with the shipping what good are we being on here to give out advice to help them out. ?? We try to give them advice in easy and step by step lay men's talk. Not techie stuff that we learned in Briggs school....

I am not in any way trying to put you down Mon Ami. I am your friend on here........... Boo

Tinkerer200

Threads
Well Tinker this model came with the valve caps on them. That is critical on these mowers. The same as not getting the push rods in just right towards the crank case side.

Getting the right valve clearance is almost or impossible without the caps on and having the rods in right.

You go by the book. I go by experience, in fact over 35 years worth of it. Yes I do make a wrong decision and jump the gun on here every once in a while. Well maybe one wrong one, but I have helped a lot of people on here with the right advice and I try my best to bring other PRO'S in too. I don't try to inflate things or make them harder for the people that don't have the experience like we do.

If we tell people to go buy a service manual that costs them 40 bux with the shipping what good are we being on here to give out advice to help them out. ?? We try to give them advice in easy and step by step lay men's talk. Not techie stuff that we learned in Briggs school....

I am not in any way trying to put you down Mon Ami. I am your friend on here........... Boo

Well while your 35 years of experience is impressive, I have close to 70 which means nothing. I expect the people who designed and built these engines have a pretty good insight into the operation of their engine. One thing I have learned in the ~70 years, sometimes the hard way, is to use the manual. The parts for the engines with and without caps are the same except for the caps. There are plenty on instances on the 6 forums I monitor where people ask if both valves are supposed to have caps as theirs only have one and runs fine. They will adjust.

No need to buy an expensive manual, I have most of them available free for the asking and there are other sites which have them available free also.

Walt Conner

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It would be nice to have a sticky thread with links to service and parts manuals.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It would be nice to have a sticky thread with links to service and parts manuals.

What happens when you do that is some A-hole then downloads the lots and whacks them together and sells them on Evil Pay.
Then that come to the attention of copywrite holder and the link gets pulled.
Much better to dole them out as needed.
The K & T site you see on here a lot has most of what people need.
Stihl , Echo & a few others are really anal about chasing down people who publish their material.
You can give a person a copy of something legally.
However you can not broadcast or distribute some one elses material.

Then again you get broken links and orphaned web sites .
Finally there are a lot of "free" manual sites hat will load your computer with malwear or just plain use your details for identity fraud.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
First two paragraphs of this post are boring tech talk. Skip if not interested.

An engine with a correctly timed camshaft and good sealing intake valve should not push anything out the intake port except during the "overlap" portion of the camshaft, and I doubt if small engines have much, if any, overlap. Overlap is a condition where, as the exhaust valve is closing and the intake valve is opening, both are open for a brief time. Lots of overlap is what gives that "lumpy" idle to engines with "race" cams.

Overlap is used to improve the high-rpm performance of engines and a 3600 rpm engine doesn't qualify as one. FWIW, overlap is controlled by 'lobe separation angle' and is built into the camshaft on engines with single cams. Today's variable valve timing engines use actuators to advance or retard one or both camshafts to change the lobe separation angle. Widely separated cam lobes (i.e., little or no overlap) are good for low end torque. Narrowly separated cam lobes let the engine produce more power in the upper rpm range. Variable valve timing is a way to get the best of both possible worlds. (They also control basic cam timing itself, i.e., where the cam is set relative to the crank, but that's another subject.)

So much for geek talk.

In this case, the OP says he's re-checked the valve timing and it's correct, that is, the marks are lined up.

My next stop would be a visit to the intake valve to see if it's sealing. Was it replaced during the rebuild? Is it closing all the way? Lapped in? Seat damaged?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
What happens when you do that is some A-hole then downloads the lots and whacks them together and sells them on Evil Pay.
Then that come to the attention of copywrite holder and the link gets pulled.
Much better to dole them out as needed.
The K & T site you see on here a lot has most of what people need.
Stihl , Echo & a few others are really anal about chasing down people who publish their material.
You can give a person a copy of something legally.
However you can not broadcast or distribute some one elses material.

Then again you get broken links and orphaned web sites .
Finally there are a lot of "free" manual sites hat will load your computer with malwear or just plain use your details for identity fraud.

Let me re-phrase...It would be nice to have a sticky thread with links to service and parts manuals IF it could be created without any of the issues associated with copywright infringement and computer problems, such as viruses, malware, etc.

Now do you agree? That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Tinkerer200

Threads
Let me re-phrase...It would be nice to have a sticky thread with links to service and parts manuals IF it could be created without any of the issues associated with copywright infringement and computer problems, such as viruses, malware, etc.

Now do you agree? That would be nice, wouldn't it?

There is a popular Forum, which I won't mention here, that has a "sub forum?" which is dedicated to Service Manuals.

Walt Conner

By the way, how the heck do you access PMs on here, I get a message I have one but find no way to see it. Never mind, I finally found it along with a couple of of others I never answered, please folks, don't send me PMs on this forum.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Then how can I ask you the name of the other forum?