Excessive fuel consumption

rpaull

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just rebuilt my 16.5 HP B & S 28W707-0121E1 motor and it is hard starting (need to take the air filter off to get to start). I'm thinking it might be the rocker arm gap which both are set to .006. When it is running, it has a loss of hp and there is blowback through the carburetor which is most likely the reason it goes through the gas. Any help is appreciated!

zman111666

Threads
If it runs only with the air filter off, or taking the filter off makes it run any different, then you need a new filter. Even if it looks clean, maybe it is oil soaked, and resistant to air flow.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Intake .003-.005
Exhaust .005-.007
Your intake valve lash is wrong.

rpaull

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did replace the filter as the first step thinking the same thing, but unfortunately it did not make a difference.
I appreciate your reply!

rpaull

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the intake is set at .006 clearance, why would I get blowback through the carb? One would think the valve would be seating not allowing the blowback??

rpaull

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the intake is set at .006 clearance, why would I get blowback through the carb? One would think the valve would be seating not allowing the blowback??
Also, what reference should I be using while setting the rocker arm clearance?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The valve will be opening and closing at the wrong time. It will also not be opening wide enough.
Set the valve lash at 1/4 turn past TDC on the compression stroke.

zman111666

Threads
I wonder if you don't have a fuel problem, to where it is running way to rich. It's not quite as likely if you have the Walbro carburetor, but if it has the Nikki, those things are kinda picky what with the fancy o-ring setup.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

I'm going to move this thread over to our Briggs & Stratton section.

Threads

Did you put the caps back on the valves ?? They are very easy to get lost ~!~!