HRR216 Self Propel Speed Cable Routing

SpoolinV70

Threads
I changed the speed cable on my HRR2163TDA and I can't get it to change the selector. When I pull the cable a little bit while moving the selector, it'll move it two positions, but that's it. The selector has been cleaned and lubed as well, so I know the problem lies within the cable routing/attachment point.
How is this cable routed? I had a hard time putting it in (took the old cable out a while back) so it's very possible I have it wrong. Does anybody have pictures to show how it's properly routed?

SpoolinV70

Threads
Man, I think I've talked to myself more on this forum than anyone else. Anyway, got the cable fixed. Works great now. Turns out the cable wasn't in the little channel correctly right near the gear selector arm. It took some finagling, but I got it in place.

jhull1980@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Spoolin,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I don't end up talking to myself too LOL! I recently replaced my speed cable and am having a slightly different problem I was hoping you could help me with. After inserting the steel dowl rod and snapping the two plastic pieces together (making sure the steel rod is in the groove channel), I close everything up and the Smart Drive control just spins around the handlebars and doesn't engage the wheels. It's almost like the steel rod is slipping out of the groove. Do you have any thoughts? I replaced the upper and lower plastic parts, thinking that was the problem, but it's still doing the same thing. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

jhull1980

SpoolinV70

Threads
Hi Spoolin,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I don't end up talking to myself too LOL! I recently replaced my speed cable and am having a slightly different problem I was hoping you could help me with. After inserting the steel dowl rod and snapping the two plastic pieces together (making sure the steel rod is in the groove channel), I close everything up and the Smart Drive control just spins around the handlebars and doesn't engage the wheels. It's almost like the steel rod is slipping out of the groove. Do you have any thoughts? I replaced the upper and lower plastic parts, thinking that was the problem, but it's still doing the same thing. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

jhull1980

Hmm... I'm not sure what could be wrong with that. I don't have the Smart Drive controls on mine, it's an older mower. Repair Clinic has some videos on Youtube that show the system pretty clearly. That was part of my problem, because all the videos were on the Smart Drive mower and not my antique!
Anyway, hopefully someone will chime in and offer some input. Good luck!