growing a lawn

corvairbob

Threads
ok i have a question is there a grass that i can apply that will just take over an existing lawn and still look good next year? i water 2 times a week in the evening for 30 minutes per zone. thanks

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you talking about overseeding a lawn and expecting the new grass to crowd out the current grass?

If only it were that easy!

Typically, you have to spray everything with Roundup and wait for it to die. Then rake off all that dead vegetation and till the ground, sow the seed, fertilize, and water. You want to have mowed the new grass going into winter.

It may be too late to do this now. Should start in mid-August with the Roundup, with seed in the ground early to mid September, at least where I live.

corvairbob

Threads
Are you talking about overseeding a lawn and expecting the new grass to crowd out the current grass?

If only it were that easy!

Typically, you have to spray everything with Roundup and wait for it to die. Then rake off all that dead vegetation and till the ground, sow the seed, fertilize, and water. You want to have mowed the new grass going into winter.

It may be too late to do this now. Should start in mid-August with the Roundup, with seed in the ground early to mid September, at least where I live.

thanks that is what i was talking about but your reply sounds like that is not the way to go. so i may wind up doing the roundup way but as you suggest next year most likely will be a better time to start it. thanks for the input. bp.

Teds

Threads
Where do you live? What kind of grass is suitable in your area. Growing a lawn is 90 per cent preparation. Were it me, I'd recommend sod. I don't know what kind of grass you're trying to grow, but a lot of things can go wrong growing from scratch. The soil needs lightly watering a couple times a day for a few weeks. If you've a large lot this is a pita.

The late summer into fall is the best time to overseed and/or start cool season turf grass like Kentucky bluegrass or fescue. Getting too late for that now. About the last two weeks in August or thereabouts in much of the Midwest for example. It is difficult to get bluegrass going in the spring. It seems a little counterintuitive but springtime means the grass seed has lots of competition with weeds among other things. An august sowing means it will get mowed a few times and go into winter just fine. The following spring you won't be able to tell it was a bare spot.

corvairbob

Threads
Where do you live? What kind of grass is suitable in your area. Growing a lawn is 90 per cent preparation. Were it me, I'd recommend sod. I don't know what kind of grass you're trying to grow, but a lot of things can go wrong growing from scratch. The soil needs lightly watering a couple times a day for a few weeks. If you've a large lot this is a pita.

The late summer into fall is the best time to overseed and/or start cool season turf grass like Kentucky bluegrass or fescue. Getting too late for that now. About the last two weeks in August or thereabouts in much of the Midwest for example. It is difficult to get bluegrass going in the spring. It seems a little counterintuitive but springtime means the grass seed has lots of competition with weeds among other things. An august sowing means it will get mowed a few times and go into winter just fine. The following spring you won't be able to tell it was a bare spot.

thanks i think i will have to wait until next year to do something. i want to see now if what i did this year will take off next spring. if not i may rototill the back yard up first and rake it all level and reseed in the fall. but for now the areas i did do may just be ok next spring and i will not have to get more involved in it. bp.

free_safety

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok i have a question is there a grass that i can apply that will just take over an existing lawn and still look good next year? i water 2 times a week in the evening for 30 minutes per zone. thanks

If you are looking for grass that will take over a lawn and spread on its own, take a look at Zoysia But there are some drawbacks to it

corvairbob

Threads
thanks i tried that type of grass years ago in another locating in the same county and i could not get it to grow. they sent me replacements and still nothing so i tried one more time and i planted it in the complete square they sent me and it grew but it did not spread a bit. i figured it arrived dead both times and by cutting the square into the 1" cubes they said do do was more than the rass would take. i took the complete section they sent the last time and planted the complete pc. and it did grow i was going to cut it into small squares like they said to do and plant it around a small area to see if it would spread but the whole square did not even spread an inch from the original size. so i just gave up on it. i may try it again sometime and see if it does better in the soil i have now miles away. not going to hold out much but it might be worth a try. i asked one time about starting from seed and those people said it is hard to start from seed. thanks

liz27

Forum Newbie
Threads
At first you have to find which types of grass available in your area. Zoysia grass, Tall Fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass are my favorite. I have Zoysia grass in my lawn. It was very hard to collect for me. But they are really beautiful.

corvairbob

Threads
thanks a lot for the ideas. next summer i'm going to lowes and get 50# of the sun and shade. then i have a 50 50 chance that the grass grows. i did that a few years ago in the front yard where i had trees shading the yard and it turned out good. but i had a friend tell me that perennial rye grass was what would work. well it grew fast and now it is dead. so i will just go with what worked before. i was hoping i could just sow it over the lawn and have it take over but it looks like i will have to till the yare and just start over. i will do it in 1/4 sections so i will still have a yard. again thanks for the ideas.