Replaced head gasket, won't start

ncoldfart

Forum Newbie
Threads
I posted several days ago about a 19 HP B&S on a John Deere rider. Model 31P677 Bertsmoble1 rightly told me to replace the head gasket. I followed the Youtube videos and felt I'd done a credible job. Torqued head bolts to 218 in-lb, intake to 0.004, exhaust to 0.005 in.
However, although the engine cranks freely, it isn't firing. I'm not smelling gas on the spark plug, it looks clean.
The fuel pump or PCV valve (the thing on the left rear of the engine, has a fuel line and breather tube coming in I haven't found a trusted parts diagram.) was oozing oil before the new head gasket. Is it possibly responsible for the non-starting? I haven't done anything to it.
Don't have pressure tester.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited:
Threads
The part you mentioned is in fact the fuel pump. The reason oil was coming out was the head gasket. Now take off the fuel line at the carb and spin the engine over. If gas comes out everywhere your pump is good.

Let us know ~!~!

ncoldfart

Forum Newbie
Threads
The part you mentioned is in fact the fuel pump. The reason oil was coming out was the head gasket. Now take off the fuel line at the carb and spin the engine over. If gas comes out everywhere your pump is good.

Let us know ~!~!

D'oh
Why can't I think of these things by myself.
Tomorrow.
Thanks.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Did you check that the rocker arms/valves are actually moving? Occasionally people do not get a push rod in the camfollower socket.

Walt Conner

ncoldfart

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you check that the rocker arms/valves are actually moving? Occasionally people do not get a push rod in the camfollower socket.

Walt Conner

I could see that being a problem, and got it covered.
Thanks for your suggestion.