Any tips to prevent chute from clogging?

LarryJohnson

Threads
I'm enjoying my new used mower, but having issues with the bagging chute. The result is clumps of grass sticking to the right rear wheel and ending up in a trail on the driveway. Nice green stains. I only bag when I cut the front yard. I only cut when the grass is dry. I mow regularly. There are new mulching blades on the mower. (The backyard gets mulched.) The chute is clear with no obstructions. Why, after several minutes of mowing, is the chute clogging. Is this an inherent problem with all mowers.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mulching blades do not throw the grass into the bagger.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Even with high-lift blades that type of bagging system tends to clog. It's a long way up a narrow tube for the grass to travel. High lift blades are a must to get any sort of reasonable performance.

LarryJohnson

Threads
Even with high-lift blades that type of bagging system tends to clog. It's a long way up a narrow tube for the grass to travel. High lift blades are a must to get any sort of reasonable performance.

Thanks for the reply, Darryl. I'm a mulcher nowadays.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mulching is great if you can keep up with the growth and cut in dry conditions. I discharge with high-lift mulching blades (Gator G5 and G6 blades). They mulch pretty well but still have enough velocity to handle less than ideal conditions. I'm a lawn care professional and tried mulching exclusively years ago and on some accounts it just slowed me down too much/made a mess. If I was just doing my own lawn I'd be running mulching blades with a mulch kit.

Rosey

Threads
I have heard that spraying the inside of the chute with silicone helps. Also try to monitor the baggers so they do not overfill with debris having no where to go except to back up into the chute.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bag when grass is dryer (easy to say). In Fall bag leaves when dry or "freeze dry" after frost.