Mower won't start after changing blade/running out of gas.

lakeviewpe

Threads
  • / Mower won't start after changing blade/running out of gas.
Was there any reason in particular you were changing the blade? or was it just dull? Check your air filter, See if it is full of oil. If so buy a new air filter, check the oil, make sure there is no gas in the oil. If so, change the oil.

Yes the needle goes up into the hole as connected to the float.

You don't need to trash the mower yet, even if it turns out to be a repair you can do, it might cost you about $80 at a shop to have done, which is still better than the $200 for a new one.

Zerobar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was changing the blade because it was chewed up pretty badly.

I'll check the oil as you suggest.

My air filter hasn't been on since taking it apart to reach the fuel bowl. Will it not run if the filter is off?

I remember the filter being dirty but not wet when I first took it off.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Since it IS running when you spray something flammable into the carb... Your problem is definitely a restriction of some sort in or before the carburetor...
Don't 'trash' it over a simple carb issue...
Remove & clean the carb ... Go to this site : Small Engine Equipment Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety

Scroll down until you see your carb on the left side... It will give you easy to follow removal & reattach instructions... it IS as easy as it looks, lots of pictures, can't fail... :smile:KennyV

Zerobar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Forgot to ask earlier: when I remove the fuel bowel from the carb it is dry ( empty) should it be?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
No it should have been full ...
Check the needle valve that the float operates... It is either plugged up or the float is stuck... :smile:KennyV

Briggs92

Threads
When you tip a mower on the side you have to tip it so the carb is up otherwise the oil will go through the breather and soak your filter in oil

lakeviewpe

Threads
If this mower has the normal square filter on it, go to you rbriggs supplier and buy a 498260 carb rebuild kit and clean it out and replace the needle and seat. Ensure to properly install the new needle seat. Make sure the kit has the needle and seat in it too, Briggs has started taking them out of the kits and are making you buy it separate (what a pain).

My point with the blade was gonna be to make sure the crank wasn't bent or sheared flywheel key if you hit something hard, but as long as the rope is jerking your arm back it should be ok.