Repairs Gas tank replacement for Craftsman (part #179115 )?

Tonto Basin

Forum Newbie
Threads
The gas tank (part # 179115) on my Craftsman GT5000 has developed small cracks. I'm obviously concerned about the safety of this situation. Does anyone know of a replacement tank?

Pumper54

Threads
Sears says it is no longer available so it is now time to do an on-line search or a walk around through your local mower grave yard to try to find a replacement.

Tom

Pumper54

Threads

bigunn

Threads
  • / Gas tank replacement for Craftsman (part #179115 )?
I just went threw the same thing not avalible I did a search and found that the same tank is in the huaqvarna which is what I have both are the same I finally found one on ebay guy had 2 with about 20 people watching so I bought price was outragous anyway I still have my tank mine was cracked where the gas gauge is on the side of the fenderleft hand side. I looked at a lot of videos about plastic repair and the only thing I see that would work is I think is sold at Eastwood is PR51 . There is a youtube video, you will lose your gas gage though.

slowkillerb

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are good. I could not find anything on the sears website except "not available" with nothing superseding it.
Tom
Did this end up being a direct replacement? I have a similar issue with mine, 917.275280 and a customer's machine, 917.273461, pn 179115.

slowkillerb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just went threw the same thing not avalible I did a search and found that the same tank is in the huaqvarna which is what I have both are the same I finally found one on ebay guy had 2 with about 20 people watching so I bought price was outragous anyway I still have my tank mine was cracked where the gas gauge is on the side of the fenderleft hand side. I looked at a lot of videos about plastic repair and the only thing I see that would work is I think is sold at Eastwood is PR51 . There is a youtube video, you will lose your gas gage though.
I had thought about cleaning up the plastic and spraying truck bed liner over the cracks. Was that your idea?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to Eastwoods and buy one of their plastic welding kits.
I use the milk bottles ( HDPE ) to weld up cracked fuel tanks with 100% success.
However the tank HAS TO BE CLEAN, and that is CLEAN with a capital K

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
See my post : Plastic Gas Tanks / J D Hood Repairing

upupandaway

Threads
plastic welding kits. K

I don't know if i am doing something wrong but i have not had much luck "welding" my tank(s).

While it is not a physical permanent fix, it has lasted several years on multiple equipment (stihl tank, briggs tank, etc)
It is goop in the walmart tape\glue section brand Goop in yellow tube.

I just rough the surface with sandpaper clean surface w/thinner, apply.
fwiw.