Buying a chain saw, what kind?

JBrzoz00

Threads
Hey guys, Irma just blew a tree down in my yard today, thankfully away from the house. I'm going to need a saw to cut it up with. There is an echo and a stihl dealer close to me but they may be sold out of saws due to the storm. A few years ago I ran a stihl ms290 farm boss, I believe it had a 20" bar. It worked great for felling the mid size gum trees I had to take down with power to spare. I'm not going to be using the saw professionally but would like something with some decent size for possibly future use. I'm sure echo and stihl are both great, I own an echo trimmer. Only thing it needed was a new carb last year because I left fuel in it over the winter. Any thoughts ?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Echo and Stihl are both good brands. So is Husqvarna, which I have.

Don't go overboard on bar length. My Husky only has a 16" bar but I was able to cut down a storm-damaged pecan tree that measured ~108" in diameter.

Some of the lesser known brands have good reputations, too, such as Johnserud and Dolmar.

I also have an early '80s Poulan Micro XXV which is still going strong but I can't vouch for today's Poulans.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last month I bought a new Echo w/16" bar. I looked at Stihl, but the 5 year warranty on the Echo was too enticing. Plus Lifetime on the Ignition coil pak. Plus I have Echo PB250 blower.

PS: You can leave mix in them over the winter, but when I mix for my 2 strokes I also add an ounce of Seafoam* per gallon of gas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I doubt that you will be able to buy a chain caw in Texas or Forida for quite a while.
The trick with chain saws is to buy the one that comes Std with the next bigger sized bar than what you want then get them to fit the smaller bar.
A big motor with a small bar will give a lot better service than a small motor with a big bar.
Order 3 chains and swap the chain every time you fill the tank and turn the bar over at the same time.
Dropped tress will be full of grit and grime that will bunt the blade really fast.
By the time all 3 blades are worn out it will be time for a new sprocket.
There is method in this madness.
Keep the chains in a tupperwear container under bar oil so they are well oiled and don't run dry on the bar for the first 3 miutes.
Get a rim sprocket fitted as they float and give a lot better service life than the standard sprocket.
Pay the extra and get a good one.
Anything less than a weeks wages is consummer grade I have had my Farmboss for 30 years and lend it out regularly to customers .
None of them believe me that it is better than 30 years old.
The bottom end Husqvarnas we have been getting down here are trash they have a problem with the chrome in the bore flaking off and I have replaced 3 so far this year and did 4 last year.
All with the same sized lump of chrome missing and all in roughly the same place.

If Echo is giving a long warranty that is a good reason to go with the Echo as you will be giving it a good workout.
As for adding stuff like Seafoam, it will not stop the fuel evaporating and leaning a sticky goop in the carb which is really hard to remove.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Echo and Stihl are both good brands. So is Husqvarna, which I have.

Don't go overboard on bar length. My Husky only has a 16" bar but I was able to cut down a storm-damaged pecan tree that measured ~108" in diameter.

Some of the lesser known brands have good reputations, too, such as Johnserud and Dolmar.

I also have an early '80s Poulan Micro XXV which is still going strong but I can't vouch for today's Poulans.

The Dolmar name is on final closeout at the manufacturer and is being replaced with the Makita name. Same saw as Dolmar with the Makita name on them.

JBrzoz00

Threads
Thanks guys,

Bertsmobil, keeping the chains in oil allows the new chain to be lubricated when installing a new one I take? As in they don't come with oil on them.

Is the rim sprocket the clutch?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert- I have to disagree about the use of Seafoam*, been using it for several decades & my Dad used it, which is where I learned about it. Never had a gummed up carb using it.

In fact it cleaned & freed up one of my oldest air-guns, that had froze up from me using newer air-guns / ratchets etc.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks guys,

Bertsmobil, keeping the chains in oil allows the new chain to be lubricated when installing a new one I take? As in they don't come with oil on them.

Is the rim sprocket the clutch?

There are two types of drive sprockets.
Spur sprockets where the clutch drum & the drive sprocket are welded together
Rim sprockets where the drive sprocket floats on a spline
When you replace it you replace a tiny ring rather than the entire clutch drum.
They work better and are easier on the chains and cheaper to replace.
If you are buying from an equipment shop they will be able to show you the difference.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert- I have to disagree about the use of Seafoam*, been using it for several decades & my Dad used it, which is where I learned about it. Never had a gummed up carb using it.

In fact it cleaned & freed up one of my oldest air-guns, that had froze up from me using newer air-guns / ratchets etc.

While seafoam can delay the fuel going off. it is not magic and can not prevent fuel evaporating to a sticky gooey mess.
Just the same as WD 40 can not fix every mechanical problem.
It is just a lottery depending upon the actual fuel you are buying & the weather in your region.
My shop is 1 mile from the landlords shed, at the corner of his land in his old house.
I can leave deisel sitting in engines for 2 to 3 years without any problems.
He can not let it sit for more than 3 months.
Same deisel from the same servo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I only use 100% gas, (that I tested) in my lawn equipment.

Seafoam will keep E-10 gas good for 2 years.