19 HP single cylinder 260 hours burning oil

ncoldfart

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a John Deere L115 rider in 2009 with a Model 31P677 single cylinder engine. I've regularly changed filters and oil, but haven't adjusted the valves or done anything with the PCV?? valve.
Several weeks ago, the engine started "burning" oil when the load changed. It is using a half cup of oil every 2.5 hours or so. Then I noticed that the PCV??? was oozing oil and dripping off the line going to the carb...and onto the floor.
So how does one maintain a PCV?? valve?
Or is it likely that one of the hoses in or out of the valve is plugged? (What I'm assuming to be the PCV valve is located on the upper left rear of the engine.) Or was I supposed to replace it at some point?
If you think that something stupid had to happen for this to occur, let me know. I'm old enough that I can handle it.
Thanks for your help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have blown the head gasket between the pushrod tube and the cylinder.
Fix it now and it is an easy job keep on using it and it becomes a difficult job.
Lots of you tube videos on how to do it .
Only "trick" in the process is you need to stone the surface of the cylinder and lap the head on a sheet of glass with some 1000 to 2000 wet & dry on it.
you should do the same on the cylinder but it is hard to manipulate so I use a fine oil stone.
When you stone the cylinder you will see how rough the milling is.
You are not trying to make it mirror flat, just enough to get a full unbroken circle around the bore the slight undulations actually help hold the gasket in place.
The after market Oregon & Stens gaskets are made from a better material.
I do a lot of them it takes 2 to 3 hours so allow a full day or better a weekend to do your first one.
BE careful you don't loose the little caps on the end of the valves ( I sell a lot of them ) .

No need to be anal about the numbers on your tension wrench anything from 18 Ft / lbs to 25 ft / lbs is fine , just so long as you do them up in the correct sequence , in 5 ft / lb incriments and they are all the same.
I like Taryl fixes all because the humour reminds you it is a mower & not a NASA space mission
and
Donnyboy73 because he has a clear & methodical approach, goes through the tools & parts