My first one

hrdman2luv

Threads
My neighbor hasn't had much luck lately, with his briggs. He knocked a hole in one of the heads (on the 18hp) Then the use engine I sold him, blew up. Since I still had his 18hp, I decided to just take it apart and see what happened.
I found the compression release broken off, and gouged up. And the timing gear broke in two. And a pretty big crack in the sump where something from inside the engine, tried to make it's way out.
But that was it. No scaring on the cylinder walls. And nothing else visibly wrong. So, I took another engine (about the same size also without an oil pump) apart, robbed the cam from it. Ordered a new timing gear, head and sump gasket.

When they finally came in, I watched a couple of hours of youtubes on this, and went to work. It was easy peasy. The only trouble I had was getting the sump all the way down on to the block. There was like maybe an 1/8th" gap. Off and on, off and on, looking at what might have been blocking it. But could find nothing. Everything was clean. The cam and oil thrower was fitting like it was supposed to. I used a feeler guage to move them slightly. So, without finding what was actually stopping it, I started tightening it down, very gently, a little at a time. And she finally dropped the rest of the way onto the block. So I torgued'r down.
After several hours of cleaning, inspecting & testing wires, safety switches and other stuff, the engine was on this old craftsman I just took in.
New spark plug, oil, air filter etc etc etc. Turned the key and she fired right off. Made a minor adjustment on the throttle, and she purred like a kitten.
So, without further ado, I drove it to the neighbors house. I pulled up and said "Pop the hood". LOL The look on his face was priceless. "You brought it back to life."

I was sooo proud of myself. Had been scared of the internal workings of a small engine, because I didn't really know the details. So I turned down that sort of work. But I know a little more now. I can't wait to tare into another. The shop in town is charging like $300 for this.

Today, I'm gonna check the compression on it. I'm guessing since it doesn't smoke, except on start up, that it should get about 130lbs. Is that right? I know the engine is pretty old. Probably 2000 to 2005.