yard machine 4.5 hp 22" cut oil everywhere!!!!

emeraldgirl

Threads
i need help. my friend gave me her old lawn mower, a yard machine 4.5 hp 2" cut walk behind mower. when I got it home, I took spark plug out to check it and dirty looking oil poured out. then when I took the muffler off oil came out there. it looks like they over filled the oil a lot.
my next thought is drain oil, but is it ruined???? help

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check the oil and correct if needed. there is a chance that oil could get on top of the cylinder if the engine was tipped with the carb facing up or the cylinder facing down. Oil will fill the breather and then can run across the breather on some engines saturation the oil filter and filling the intake with oil which can be drawn into the intake and hydrolock the engine.

Threads
What IL Engine is telling you is to get the oil at the right level. Then pull the starter rope a few times to let the excess out of the spark plug hole....

Put the plug back in and try to start it.

zman111666

Threads
...And get a new filter. An oil-soaked filter will choke out the engine.

emeraldgirl

Threads
thank you for the advise.
I drained the oil and replaced it. there is no oil filter on this walk behind mower. I removed all gas and replaced. I cleaned the spark plug. it started and ran for about15 min, cutting grass. I started up a grade and it cut out and would not start. for several days I tried draining gas, it had small black particles in it. it will start if I spray gas in to the carb, but won't continue to run. I replaced the air filter and cleaned the guard. I took carb off cleaned all the openings, submerged in container of gas, and replaced it. it still doesn't start. there are no adjustments that I can find, no screws.
any more suggestions will be appreciated.
Mary

zman111666

Threads
Due to the fact that it will run a bit on carb cleaner, the fuel system is definitely the problem. There is something in the carb still blocked. or, if the carb was empty when you pulled it apart, there is a chance the screen in the tank is clogged, or the fuel line is collapsed. A collapsed fuel line won't show from the outside, but sometimes might feel a little soft. also, some mowers have a shutoff valve on the fuel line (usually Hondas) , make sure it isn't clogged or closed. I know, it sounds obvious, but it's those little things that always get me.
Remember that the bolt on the bottom of the carb that holds the bowl on is often also the main jet. Make sure the holes in it are clean.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those black particles that you are find in the fuel could be pieces from a crumbling fuel line. So may want to replace the fuel line and reclean the carb.