MR Noisy !!

Ausdigga

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I have a Husqvarna garden tractor with a Briggs model 31Q677 Type 3493-GS Motor ,it start well cuts , well and has plenty of power .Thats the good part ! The muffler is the drop down to a box with forward facing exhaust and is in good condition (75 hours) and is the noisiest thing ever . It can be heard nearly a kilometre away , my query is ,was a batch of these mufflers made without baffles? or should I investigate cutting the muffler and insert some baffleing material myself. It is so loud as to be embarrasing , I dare'nt use it on Sundays , Hoping for some sensible ideas here , thanks in advance . Ron W.

deck~dragger

Threads
The muffler may look to be in good condition but go ahead and pull and inspect along with the exhaust gasket. If good on the outside the baffles may still be blown. B&S makes some Lo-Tone mufflers and there are aftermarket quiet mufflers for small engines that may or may not be a direct fit.
On a budget, there is exhaust packing material, someone else will need to chime in about how to pack it, I have no experience with it.
Aus, in the meantime I hope you are using some quality hearing protection.